Recommended reading for large Roman bronze?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johnnie Black, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I feel myself drawn to 1st and 2nd century sesterce, dupondi, and the like. I can’t afford the high end examples, but would love to hear recommended reading for collecting in this area. Any journals, books, guides I should seek out?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alde

alde Always Learning

The new versions of Roman Imperial Coins Vol. 1 & 2 are a good source on information. We are all still waiting for Vol. 3 to come out, at least I am.

RAGNAROK and Johnnie Black like this.
  4. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

General reading on Roman Coins:
    1. Sutherland, Roman Coins.
    2. Kenneth Harl, Coinage and the Roman Economy.
    3. Kent and Hirmer, Roman Coins (expensive - coffee table book).

For better understanding of the historical events depicted on the coins:
    1. Clive Foss, Roman Historical Coins.

For better understanding of the inscriptions and imagery on the coins:
    1. Klawans, Reading and Dating Roman Imperial Coins.
    2. Stevenson OR Jones, Dictionary of Roman Coins.

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I've been looking for a copy of Coinage and the Roman Economy but havent found one. I've spoken with the author but he said the University only gave him a single copy(!!). If anyone has one let me know.

6. Carausius

There's currently 2 in stock at Amazon for $77 each. You've not been looking very hard. :smuggrin:

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I only have one copy and it is a keeper.

The original question suggested wanting a book on bronzes which is a subject I don't know having been covered in a book. There is the Banti series on sestertii but it omits dupondii and asses which I consider a big fault not to mention it being mostly a catalog without educational text. I'm afraid my best suggestion would be a general book and ignore the parts on silver and gold. The British Museum catalogs are nice and stop not long before the end of bronze coinage of the sestertius/as series. I would love to see a book released consisting of the text parts of BMC or RIC without the catalog pages. I believe that would be educational at a price much less than the multi-volume complete works.

Johnnie Black likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 3.20.15 PM.png

Looks interesting!

9. Carausius

Precisely why I recommended more general works. The two century collecting period also lends itself to general works.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

In the absence of specialized books on that particular niche, you might want to get some old catalogs from auctions featuring sestertii and other Roman bronzes.

Numismatica Ars Classica, for instance, often has interesting blurbs about the coins.

Some of the old Numismatic Fine Arts catalogs also have historical backgrounds for many of the coins.

Here's an example of such a catalog and you can get a glimpse of those blurbs in the seller's photos:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ancient-Co...N-SESTERTII-/132475222498?hash=item1ed82379e2

I have a small collection of notable catalogs and they are a joy to browse, both for the incredible coins and for the write-ups.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree fully but old catalogs have one major drawback. Sometimes you know what you want is there but finding it can be a task. That is what makes our new-fangled Internet listings so very valuable. Search engines allow us to type in 'Septimius sestertius' and see hundreds of coins a good percentage of which actually fit the parameters. I really wish there were a way the catalogs of the great sales of the 20th century could be entered online so they would be as searchable as are those of the past 15 years.

David Atherton and Johnnie Black like this.
  12. Ken Dorney

Coinarchives is doing just that. From what I know they started early in the century and working their way forward (I think it would be much more beneficial to work backwards). According to their website they have done 1901 through 1938. No idea how many more they have done (that blurb was from 2016). I think those entries are likely part of their pay-per-use portion of the site, which ranges from 25 Euros for one week to 160 Euros for two years.

Johnnie Black and Alegandron like this.
  13. Carausius

acsearch has also been adding old catalogues to their database. I'm not sure how large their database of old cats is, and the hits seem haphazard. Many classic catalogues are in French or German, so there will be variability of search results depending on how the lot info is entered.

14. Ken Dorney

Ah. Should have noted my mistake. Not coinarchives, acsearch...

Carausius likes this.
  15. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

You might like "Principal Coins of the Romans volume II The Principate 31 BC- AD 296" by R.A.G. Carson. It is only 167 pages, but has 1658 illustrations.

"The criteria which have governed the selection of the coins include their importance as typical coins of each period, as well as their importance for historical association and artistic distinction."

4kiRJ2s6nP35G79xeZg68diCL3AaYX.jpg

TJC, RAGNAROK, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree and recommend all three volumes (Republic, Principate, Dominate) for the economy of text covering exactly what is most important to be covered without being ponderous. If you learned all the points made in these books, you would have as good a basic understanding of Roman coins as could come from so few pages.

TJC and Roman Collector like this.
  17. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Well worth the price! It was one of the first general Roman coin books I purchased way back in 2004. Paid $65 for the hardback.

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Amazon lists some used ones now but I don't know how much I'd pay. They only have volume 2 as well and I'd rather have the set. When the books came out, there was a real stigma in the hobby against late Roman so I can see how people might have avoided the third volume but that theory should make the Republican book most common. The photos really could be better. They are actual size, black and white and not lighted the way my 2018 sensibilities suggest. They are nice coins selected to introduce the subject.

19. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful.

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hey Gang, I just received my "Used / Good" Condition of Harl's "Coinage in the Roman Economy". Took a chance on the quality of the book from an Amazon provider. WOW, for $30 USD, it is a NEW BOOK. I do not see ANY use, marks, etc. No dust cover, but I always throw those away... just marketing garbage to me.

Great investment...
    Harl-Coinage of Roman Economy 1.jpg Harl-Coinage of Roman Economy 2.jpg Harl-Coinage of Roman Economy 3.jpg

21. Ken Dorney

Ugh. I also ordered a copy, same condition. There was only one from all sellers. Looks like you got it, I got.....nothing. No tracking number, etc. Looks like they double sold. Such a bummer. I am super anal when it comes to my books. Either new or needs to be as new. Crumb! I really wanted that one! At least it went to a good home!

Johnnie Black and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted