Recommendations Needed: Where to Purchase pre-1933 Gold?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by QuintupleSovereign, Aug 28, 2022.

1. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase pre-1933 gold at semi-reasonable premiums over melt? I'm looking to complete my Dansco 7070 gold type page.

Thank you in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You are looking for something that is best left to a very reliable local dealer who knows how to spot counterfeits. The trouble with "semi-reasonable premiums over gold" is that you are looking for lower grade, common date gold coins in grades like VF-30 or so, or if you can stand it, lower. Those are the kind of coins that sell for around spot. Given the current economic conditions, with inflation high, and people flocking toward precious metals, this is not the best time to find what you want.

Given what you are willing to pay, and the high cost of certification these days, slabbed coins are probably off the table for you.

I have seen U.S. gold coins, such as $10 and $20 pieces sell for less that melt for brief periods. The trouble is, the collectors and numismatic dealers were smart. Their perception was that gold was due for significant correction, and the below spot prices were temporary. In all the cases that I can remember, they were right.

Mr.MonkeySwag96 and -jeffB like this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

From what I've seen, with a little patience it's not hard to find common double eagles at low premiums.

For eagles and half-eagles, I'm not sure about the current state of affairs; I bought my few examples at low premiums, but they're not high-end coins.

For quarter-eagles, gold dollars, and (of course) $3 gold, melt isn't the benchmark -- even holed examples usually get a stiff premium. (I've gotten impaired gold dollars and quarter-eagles near melt, but that's more of "I was in the right place at the right time", not "I have a system".)

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I would not recommend problem coins like this. They usually trade at around spot, except for the GENUINE $3 gold. Even there re-sale at a fair and decent price is not easy. When you go in with coins that have big problems, the dealer has the advantage over you. Most dealers are not that much into buying this material unless it is very cheap.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I would only buy from reputable dealers and I would buy problem free coins.

ldhair likes this.
  7. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Pre 33 gold is a place that I don’t mind buying details coins . One place I’ve had success at nicer near melt (although officially details coins ) is David Lawrence weekly auction . Go in on a Sunday afternoon on the No reserve and give it a shot bid in your comfort zone and maybe have some luck

I scored this at half eagle at near melt (scratches but in hand not very noticeable with a ton of luster) . This is of course a very nice detail coin and not typical of problem coins

F0464E8E-006B-4B4C-A5C2-E1DD7C966487.jpeg 97FB0F3A-30A9-4B93-8ED9-D6B00DB59CAD.jpeg

imrich, -jeffB and johnmilton like this.
  8. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

GoldFinger1969 and -jeffB like this.
  9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

My father left me some coins (not worth much, most of them). Anyway, I started studying coins then, reading books from reputable authors. Anyway, I contacted a local seller that had a small shop. He only had a few Pre-33 gold coins. They were both Liberty gold coins, one a double eagle and the other an eagle. I had read in books that it would be best to have gold coins graded, so I talked to the dealer and he said he was going to a show the next week and he would be glad to have them graded. I think it cost me about $30 each to have them graded by NGC. When he returned, he was a little embarrassed about the grade of the double eagle. It came back a details coin because the obverse was scratch on the face. The eagle was graded MS61. He offered to buy them from me at what I paid if I didn't want them. I decided to keep them. I bought the 2019 (MMIX) Ultra High Relief from him. He told me that the previous owner didn't want it because it graded "only" MS68. I knew that even at MS68, it was a good coin. I got it for $1,250. The double eagle cost me $1,000 and the eagle cost me $600.
    Sometimes you're lucky and sometimes you get stuck. I've done pretty well with my gold.
    Take your time buying gold coins and find a dealer that you like and has a good reputation.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds like you have an honest dealer.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Would highly recommend APMEX or better yet liberty coin, they dont have a huge
    selection, but offer better prices on comparable coins, just picked this one a couple
    weeks back and have another coming in just a couple days :)

12. mpcusa

13. mpcusa

14. mpcusa

15. mpcusa

If your just looking for a common date
    like you suggest you can beat the 1904
    Liberty, you can get a nice 64-66 for
    almost a song…LOL, here’s my 64 I got