Recent Wheatie RPMs/Possible RPMs

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JohnT, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

Showing some finds and looking for inputs:
    RPMs0.jpg RPMs1.jpg RPMs2.jpg RPMs3.jpg RPMs4.jpg
    From left to right: 1946, 1958, 1951, 1958, and 1953.

The 1st and 5th look rather questionable, but I think the middle three are legit. Whatcha think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

The third one's a definite. I don't know enough about RPMs to help with the others.

4. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

what does RPM stand for?

5. Manbeast

Manbeast Collector

Repunched mint mark

6. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Second and four look like rotated/tilted RPMs. Try matching them up on coppercoins.com Third and fifth look like damage. Can't tell about the first. It would also help if we knew the dates for the coins.
    Keep up the hunt!

7. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

You and your "details" :rolleyes:

From left to right: 1946, 1958, 1951, 1958, and 1953.

8. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

According to the book "Strike It Rich with Pocket Change":
    Up until 1990, all mintmarks were punched into otherwise completed regular coinage dies individually with a hand punch and mallet. This process allowed for variations in the placement of the mintmark, variations in its strength, and sometimes whether it went into the die at an angle or perfectly flush with the field, or titled clockwise or counterclockwise. It often required several taps of the mallet to sufficiently sink the mintmark into a die. At times, a punch appears to have been angled too far in one direction, creating weakness at one side and strength at the other. This was compensated with a correction that angled later taps of the punch in the direction of weakness. Other times, the engraver probably examined his work and decided it needed strengthening and thus set the punch back down for another blow. Still other times, a first impression of a mintmark was up too high, encroaching into the date, or far too low, or perhaps even rotated at an unacceptable angle that could be as severe as 180 degrees (resulting in an inverted mintmark)! These factors, and plain old-fashioned “punch bounce,” are all conditions that are known to have caused RPMs. The diagnostics of RPMs, (and other forms of repunching not covered in this book), are identical to that of doubled dies; there will be separation lines between overlapping images and lots of total separation in the form of “split serifs.”

Potter, Ken; Allen, Brian (2011-02-28). Strike It Rich with Pocket Change (p. 27). F+W Media, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

I thought manual punching ended in the 80's... but I'm just a newb and don't know nothin' no how. Hope this was useful!

9. JohnT

JohnT Newbismatist

After a some searching, looks like #1 is 1946D-1MM-001 D/D SW and #3 is 1951D-1MM-010 East. I was able (despite the wear) to find some die markers. I think the 5th is big zilch and 2 and 4 are too difficult to identify. Regardless, looks like I'll be raking in ones of dollars and eating from the value menu!

10. non_cents

Looks like you've got them attributed correctly. Well done, and I am surprised to say I was wrong on #3!
    Unfortunately, their condition limits them to a few dollars each, but they are cool finds nonetheless.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no
    no
    yes
    too minor to care
    PMD

12. non_cents

Perhaps you missed it, but at least the first one is actually an attributed variety. Granted, it is hard to see, but it is still there.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Okay, I missed it!

And I totally didn't see it even with the arrows, sheesh, I gotta go read some more.

Still learning.

Congrats on them

Draft saved Draft deleted