recent slabbing of 1914/3 buffalo nickel by PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by buffnixx, May 10, 2017.

1. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

There isn't a full, complete digit as on the 1918-D 8/7-the "3" is weak and incomplete, as often happens on an initial hubbing of a hub or working die. In addition there was an unmistakable attempt to remove what little was there. Remnants of the crossbar of the 3 can be seen on either side of the 4-there is a "bump" that appears to be the corner of a 3 to the right of the top of the 4 in the second image posted. The curvature of the top of the 3 can also be seen immediately above the crossbar of the four. See the overlay in the first image posted for these remnants.

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ed Reese

Ed Reese New Member

This is very interesting to me as I just bought what appears to be a 1913 over 1903 buffalo nickel. Let me know if there is such an animal. The auction # is 361975645964 There is also a nine almost completely below the 9 in the date.

4. Ed Reese

Ed Reese New Member

upload_2017-5-26_5-28-48.jpeg

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There were no 1903 buffalo nickels !
    In 1903 Liberty nickels were minted .
    The first buffalo was minted in 1913.

6. Paddy54

I've posted these before and they have been shown to a person whom name is refereed to in this post. I will give you their take but first what's yours 1928 p 2 c.jpg 1928 p 2b.jpg 1928 P Buffalo date 1.jpg 1928 date 2.jpg ? these are two 1928 buffalo's one is a P the other an S. Both date have what looks to be a underlying digit under the primary digit in the date. The first is located between the 9 & 2 the second is under the lower loop of the 8. Over dates? MPD's ?
    Thoughts?

7. Ed Reese

Ed Reese New Member

Wow, I don't know about the first one but the second one appears to be a Denver mint mark under the 8. The first one appears to be soil or toning effecting the view. I do realize they did not make the Buffalo nickel in 1903 and that is one of the things that surprised me about the over date on this coin.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I wish they used an accused date on these coins...like the quarter/half eagles of the time.

Ed Reese likes this.
  9. Ed Reese

Ed Reese New Member

10. Ed Reese

Ed Reese New Member

I do realize they did not make the Buffalo nickel in 1903 and that is one of the things that surprised me about the over date on this coin.

11. Paddy54

Ed
    I want you to understand that the coin you posted isn't an over date,or is it an 1913/1903 which would be impossible due to the fact you're talking about 2 different series that the date's wouldn't even be in the same location on both coins.
    So what you're saying could never happen to begin with.

12. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

There is so
    There is something there on that 28. Don't have an explanation, but you might have something there. The 2nd one.

13. Paddy54

There's something there on both, I suspect an 8 underlying as when I first found it in some old buffalo's I had since a kid. There are two holes the top one is larger than the bottom one. If you look below the date between the 92 you can see the bottom loop of the underlying 8 the two dark spots are the inner loops of the 8. Next look inside the 2 you can see the right side of the top loop inside the 2.
    I am totally convinced that the number is an 8 . Can I prove it no....when shown to an expert who will remain nameless his reply well yeah it's something show me another one like it.
    I do understand no one wants to put their name on something unless it is 100% proven to be exactly what it is..... but when you have this coin in hand under a loop there's no doubt it's an 8.
    Coin #2 I'm not sure what it is...someone said a die chip. Die chips aren't smooth and take on shapes like digits . Something was punched into the die besides the 1928 again you can see it in the loops of the 8 and outside of the 8. Again what I am clueless . But no matter what it is it shouldn't be there....and it is no questions asked.

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

This is the best evidence I've ever seen that the 14/13 actually exists! IMO, There is no reason to polish the die in that areaTas clashes do not occur there. Thanks, I'm slowly becoming a believer as I've never seen high-grade images such as those you posted.

It would go a long way toward convincing others if you were to write a short article for CW and NN along with the images here.

15. Ed Reese

Ed Reese New Member

Thank you Paddy. It may just be a doubled dye which is what the 3 looks like on the coin. ( Once again my apologies for not having a better photo ) There is what appears to be a zero under the 1 and blending into the 9 on it though. If you go to the link where I bought it on e-bay you can get a lot better look at it. I do not in any way pretend to be an expert on this but I see what I see. Thank you again for the help.

16. Ed Reese

Ed Reese New Member

Sorry here is the auction #361975645964

Draft saved Draft deleted