Recent Sincona addition....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Dec 3, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

This coin minted in 1771/ Bern
    AV Doppel Dukat
    6.90g. 28mm. .986

Swiss Kantons where renowned for their artistic coinage. Thought I would share it on ancient board......
    John 04114q00 (2).jpg

eparch, kountryken, Egry and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sand

sand Well-Known Member

I like it. I like the border, and I like the design, on the obverse and reverse. And I like the fact, that it is made of gold. At 28 mm and 6.9 grams, it sounds like a thin coin.

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

its about same thickness as a US Quarter.

sand likes this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coin! Those lions look like they've been hitting the schnapps.

panzerman likes this.
  6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

John, Nice score of a rare denomination :happy:! The coat of arms is beautifully engraved & the coin is in gem grade :D. What grade did NGC give it o_O?

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

The Lion on the left/ might be worried about that "Brown Bear":D

8. panzerman

Thanks Al:) I agree the engraving/ design are beautifull. The master engravers/ die cutters/ mintmasters from 1650-1850 where experts at their trade. Sadly, the same is not true today. Also, seems the high value silver/ gold where the nicest/ the AV 20 Dukaten from Zurich/ Bern/ Basel are to die for.
    NGC gave the coin a MS-63 designation.
    John
    Here is a AV 20 Dukaten from Regensburg ND (Imperial City) A Million Dollar coin these days.
    HRE Josef II 1765-90 (I can ONLY dream about that beauty):(:(:(:(:(:(:( Regensburg/ Nurnburg/ Basel/ Zurich/ Bern/ Transylvania/ the Holy Roman Empire struck money, "Too nice to spend"

9. sand

sand Well-Known Member

That's not as thin, as I had imagined. I guess I've gotten used to the sizes and weights of ancient coins, which are usually somewhat chunkier than medieval and modern coins. I was also guessing, that a gold coin of that diameter and weight, would be thinner, but I really had no idea. It seems like a very nice coin. It sort of reminds me, of a very fancy checker, for a game of checkers, but made of gold. If only I had 12 of them, and 12 similar silver coins (I have no idea what those would be), then I could have a very fancy (and expensive) game of checkers.

panzerman likes this.
  10. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

That's a great coin John. I think the 17th and 18th century gold strikes by the Swiss cantons are very attractive coins. Great addition.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted