Recent NGC submission

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zpalmer, Mar 17, 2015.

1. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

I am a die hard ANACS photo grade collector, I keep a membership at NGC for access to their databases. I generally only submit coins if it is a questionable match to the photo. However recently a dealer told me these old photo certificates never cross over and always lose 2-3 points in grade. This got me thinking maybe I should prove him wrong. So I submitted 5 coins from my collection to see what the outcome would be. The following are the original grades (ANACS grades consist of an obverse and reverse grade) followed by the NGC page with the new grades;
    1939 s Walking Liberty Half ms 65/65
    1918 Illinois Commem ms 63/65
    1859 proof Half Dime pf 60/60
    1900 Morgan ms 65/65 VAM 11
    1883 cc Morgan ms 63/65
    uploadfromtaptalk1426638765999.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

So even the VAM was incorrect?

Nice score on the proof!

4. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

Yeah, but at NGC the 24 is more rare than the 11, only 5 higher and they show no other ms64+ grades in their registry and only 21 in ms64

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Looks like you did alright.

6. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

Yeah, ANACS only graded proofs 60 or 65, no middle grades, so I knew it would go higher, was actually thinking 63 would be a great score.

swamp yankee and tommyc03 like this.
  7. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

When the 1900 was graded, the VAM 24 wasn't classified, and the VAM 11 has the same double die reverse. All VAM 24 were known as VAM 11s before the 1990s. This is actually the only photo certificate with a VAM designation I have ever found.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice score!

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

Thanks, Chris, glad to see these older photo certificates hold their weight

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Congrats. Well done

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

great news. Goes to show by the coin and its apparent you did. Thanks for sharing.

12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Nice demonstration. I'd like to get ahold of a coin with one of these old certs, too. I don't care much about the grade. I just think it'd be a nice bit of numismatic history.

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

False. The VAM 24 is more common than the VAM 11. They share the same reverse, which is the "money side" of the coin. The VAM 24 was not discovered until 1997. As a result, there are many VAM 24 coins attributed as VAM 11 from before 1997, and many misattributed thereafter. The grade spreads are about the same for both.

In MS64 and higher, the SSDC registry shows 10 VAM 11 and 22 VAM 24.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

I actually stated at NGC the 24 is more rare, meaning has a much lower population than the VAM 11, which is a true statement if you check NGC census records.

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. messydesk

OK, but I don't put much stock in NGC population records for VAMs in general, and in this case they reflect the opposite of reality for the two varieties.

16. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

I never said you should, my post was about NGC submissions, I made a statement pertaining to this. If you read the entire thread, you will also see that I followed this with a post stating the exact fact you stated, that many VAM 24s were misattributed as 11s before the 1990s.

swamp yankee likes this.
  17. messydesk

Yes, I replied before reading your other statement. All I'm trying to accomplish is making sure people don't assume that VAM 24 is the rarer of the two, and realize that any coin attributed as VAM 11, even recently, needs to be examined closely to make sure it's not VAM 24. My experience is that NGC has made this mistake more often than PCGS or ANACS.

Back to the first post, I do find the attribution on the ANACS photo cert interesting. What's the date on it? Is there a name it's "registered" to? There were not many VAM collectors active in the early 80s, and this may be traceable to one of them.

swamp yankee likes this.
  18. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

19. messydesk

Ahh... good ol' Mr. Intercap Precious Metals. o_O Probably a dead end, but I'll ask a few people who might know

swamp yankee likes this.
  20. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

It is a transfer certificate, so it could have had an individual on the original, the only problem is the ANA, did not save many records from this time.

swamp yankee likes this.
  21. zpalmer

zpalmer Member

Draft saved Draft deleted