Recent mint order

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Jul 9, 2024.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Okay with the recent change in mint prices, my most recent orders which were ordered on the 7th and processed yesterday were overcharged, and it's clear it was overcharged. So I'm going to call them after I receive my items and dispute the charges I can either get a credit which I personally prefer just my money back in terms of free silver but here's to wishing

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Best of luck old chum........

4. 71Avalon

71Avalon Well-Known Member

The Mint can charge all they want as far as I'm concerned. They haven't had anything that's interested me in years.

lardan and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

With all of the comments on CT why are you still ordering from the mint?

71Avalon and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I bought my first item from the mint in 1959, a proof set. I quit several years ago. They have contaminated the US coins with so many variations that it became impossible to keep up, both price and issue were out of hand. I have 15 grandkids and 24 great grandkids and keeping up with their birthdays was easier than keeping up with mint issues.

7. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I think the problem is they were processed on the 9th, and I think that is the increase date. If you do attempt to get a price adjustment, let us know how it works out.

As for still ordering from the mint, to each their own. But, I really can't see ordering mint and proof sets. My son got one of each from some elderly people when he graduated from college as gifts. I think this may very well make up a bigger part of thier sales (as gifts) than I ever thought. Who knows, may make some future collectors out there.

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It really get me that the mint has raised the price of the silver Proof set from $130 to $150 because of the price of silver. I have had trouble getting the exact number, but that set has almost 1.5 ounces of silver in it. Being generous, the bullion value has got up maybe $12. The mint has raised it by $20.

If a private firm had a monopoly like the mint has, the government would be all over them. But since it's the government, they can do what they want.

9. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated

A quick, unscientific look at the price list looks like they raised everything between $15-$20 an ounce, with a couple outliers like the 2019 2.5 oz Liberty going up $27 an ounce.

71Avalon and johnmilton like this.
  10. johnmilton

At $31 an ounce for silver times 1.5 equals $46.50. Add to that $15 for the base metal coins and striking costs, you have $61.50. Call it $70.

So the mint has to get $130 now $150, I coins I got had issues. :bored:

-jeffB, lardan, 71Avalon and 2 others like this.
  11. 71Avalon

The only things I've been interested in the last few years were the 2021 Peace and Morgans, mainly because I liked the idea of 100th anniversary edition but i got shut out of all 6 issues. Meh, life goes on. I would like to have the Apollo half and dollar coins. But nothing else does anything for me and I used to love the modern commemorative proofs. I just don't like the themes and artwork anymore.

And I could be dead wrong here, but I think after the popularity of the state quarters, the Mint started seeing dollar signs big time.

Cheech9712 and lardan like this.
  12. johnmilton

The commemorative half dollars used to be priced so that YNs could afford them. The mint even marketed them in educational cards which allowed the YNs to learn some history as well as collect the coins.

Now, instead of less than $10, the mint prices for these clad coins is over $50. The Harriet Tubman half dollars are prices at $52 and $54 for example. Really? Does the mint have to get that much to cover its costs on a base metal coin?

The mint has been an overpriced government agency since one of the directors decided to maximize profits. That guy didn't do anybody any favors. I read in Coin World that the sales of commemorative coins are way down. Given the prices, it should be no surprise.

-jeffB, Cheech9712, 71Avalon and 2 others like this.
  13. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I think you could be correct. They certainly have went to great links on an attempt to replicate a program of this type to include dollar coins.
    You are so right on this.

71Avalon, charley and Inspector43 like this.
  14. Inspector43

I consider the US Quarter's to be nothing more than novelty pieces. They are minted in so many different variations and quantities that it is virtually impossible for me to keep up with. I'm sure others feel the same way. I am done with the US Mint and USPS.

71Avalon and charley like this.
  15. johnmilton

Yes, I've lost track of the quarter varieties since the State Quarter series ended. I was really interested in the State Quarters. The territories and District of Columbia were okay, but after that, it's just noise. The woman's series is a bore.

I buy the Proof sets only to keep up a collection. I bought the Morgan and Peace Dollars last year because I wanted them for type. It was interesting to see the Peace design in cameo Proof. After than, nothing but the Proof sets. That's all I buy from the mint now.

lardan, Inspector43 and LakeEffect like this.
  16. Inspector43

My relationship with the US Mint is ended after this and much, much more IMG_5820.JPG IMG_5821.JPG IMG_5822.JPG IMG_5823.JPG IMG_5909.JPG :

17. johnmilton

I was keeping up the modern commemoratives for a long time. I have all of the four and six piece wood box sets. I even bought the huge Atlanta Olympic set with four $5 gold pieces when I was a dealer. It's been a good investment because the gold has gone up so much. I bought all of those sets in the secondary market, almost always for less than issue. The rest has not done well.

I got tired of all the banal subjects. And at more than $900 a pop, I can do without more of them.

18. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Inspector43 likes this.
  19. 71Avalon

I think most people will agree that the state quarters were great. They represented the first design changes since the Bicentennial. This is just my honest opinion, but I would have preferred when the states were done that they returned to the eagle reverse. Or, if they wanted something different from the eagles, then something else that was permanent. I can't stand the women quarters. Of all those women I had heard of only 3 or 4 of them. I do look forward to what the 250th coins will look like in 2026. The Mint will get my money then, but probably not before or after.

lardan, Cheech9712 and Inspector43 like this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
  21. Inspector43

The mint is losing money since I quit.

Collecting Nut and lardan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted