Recent F.U.N. Auction

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Old Error Guy, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

I had posted thes thoughts in another forum and thought, maybe, there mught be some interest here:

Anyone else watching the FUN auction?

Believe me, I have NO IDEA anymore about error coin values and believe that, as an investment, error coins are only better than the US stock market as an investment.

Just a brain dump. I would love some feedback:

1. Caps continue to erode in value. A nice cent cap sold for about $300. At one time a cap was a centerpiece item and now sell for less than good clips and cuds.

2. There seems to be a lot of buffalo nickel o/c's on the market. I'm surprised the values seemed to be holding. Must be more collectors than I realized.

3. I thought the dime on 1/10 Balboa was a real bargain - too bad I'm tapped these days. Maybe others have this problem.

4. Modern major varieties seem to be doing well (e.g. 1960 sd/ld, 1943/2).

5. In general ANACS slabs are a serious price hindrance.

6. Why did this sell for a grand: http://tinyurl.com/hjp8bsp

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Date shows, High MS grade, & the "unusual planchet" ?

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'm surprised it sold for so little . . . the planchet on which this coin was struck was probably unique, or nearly so.

Markus1959 likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Are you saying stocks are not a good investment?

6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

5. I like the old white ANACS slabs but not the current ones. And PCGS and NGC are a must to get top dollar at auction.

6. It looks like it was struck through cloth as well. That's why it went so high.

In addition, I noticed, and have talked about in other threads, that Seated Liberty coins took a bath.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

My thought exactly!

Chris

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That Cent would have hammered for more if I'd been bidding. Fortunately, I don't have the money so I wasn't bidding. :)

9. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Looks like it was struck through cloth also. That is really cool!

Draft saved Draft deleted