Recent eBay snag (beautiful 24-S)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Phoenix21, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I am getting into Half-Cents and a few other series recently, but I saw this beauty on eBay and I could not resist trying to snag her. How do you think I did? I place her at a strong AU. Paid $24, S/H included. Beautiful sharper strike for an otherwise poor date.

1924-S Lincoln cent obverse.jpg 1924-S Lincoln cent reverse screenie.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It would probably go 50, but still not bad for only $24.

5. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

XF-40, sorry to many wear marks obv. and rev.

6. Phoenix21

I'll be inclined to disagree. The luster is too brilliant for a 40, and the cheek is not anywhere near the level of a typical 40. IMHO, it could maybe get a 45 by a strict guy in somewhat of a mood that day at the TPG's, but I would say she is a full on 50. She also has just a touch of a soft strike (not as sharp as she could be but pretty darn close) so that may be part of what you are seeing there. I have quite a fair amount of confidence she will arrive AU in hand.

7. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

theres chemical damage on the rev, it has sever major bag wear marks an signs , altho its got noticeable hair... it still lacks high detail marks for the head..id give it xf45 ~ au 50 details environmental damage

petro89 likes this.
  8. petro89

petro89 Member

I was thinking XF45-AU50 details due to the reverse as well. Beautiful coin other than that spot though...thats a shame :(

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

That's a nice 24S! AU53 with a shot at MS62.

Phoenix21 likes this.
  11. Phoenix21

I was concerned about the reverse, but I am thinking when I get her in hand that it won't be damage. Just a feeling. Judging by the luster of the surrounding area, and the coin in its entirety, I am confident it isn't damage and is either a flaw of the coin inherently, or flaw in the picture. We will see when I get her in hand.

I may not be an expert like RLM, but I did know my Lincoln's pretty decently at one time. ^.-

RLM, what is your opinion on the reverse? And thank you for sharing that picture of what a 45 looks like. :)

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry, but I don't have a good answer for you. Kind of iffy for a TPG, IMO, but I have never seen what happens with something like that.

13. Phoenix21

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering if it may be some sort of strike-thru, but until I get the coin in hand I cannot be certain. If it was environmental damage like I first feared when I saw the coin, I don't think it would be as lustrous in that area... Damage would completely remove that luster. We shall see on Wednesday :)

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It definitely looks AU to me. Give it a mid-AU on these pics. I can't tell what that is aside the E and T, but I'm thinking lamination or stain.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice strike. I love the color. The reverse looks like just a stain. AU-50 to me.

16. BadThad

I don't think it's a strike-through or damage, just a stained area which has toned over.

17. Phoenix21

Alas, she is in. In-hand I have no idea what that is on the back, but it indents into the metal of the coin and is deeper than the rest of the coin. I still believe her to be AU-50, but am not confident that she is problem-free. If this is a problem coin then I will return her as it was not mentioned in the description. Thoughts?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Is the right wheat also indented? Not that it makes any difference because I have no idea what happened.

19. Phoenix21

Nope, that is what is odd. There is no damage to the lettering in One Cent either. It overlaps yet hasn't done anything to the surrounding areas. -scratches head-

20. BadThad

It doesn't extend into the devices, I think it's a planchet flaw. This would be one for Mike Diamond.

21. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

I would send it back. That indentation on the back is significant enough it should have been mentioned in the description. Since it wasn't, the seller was hoping whoever bought it would just keep it rather than go through the hassle of returning it and his problem coin has gone away.

Draft saved Draft deleted