Recent Addition to my Large Cent Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Jan 13, 2019.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Hope you enjoy the article.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Nice article. I found it yesterday on the NNP. No registration and relatively easy to use. I highly recommend that CT members bookmark it if they haven't done so already.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin. That's hair style 2 isn't it?

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes Type 2 hair. Type 1 was only used on 1 die in 1800, and used for four varieties S190, 191, NC-5, and NC-6.

Eduard likes this.
  7. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Wow - I really, really like your Draped Bust cent. For both fun and challenge, last year, I began my "U.S. Historical One Cent collection" - starting with Lincoln and going backwards in time. Getting the Indian Head, the Flying Eagle, the Braided Hair, and Coronet Head, is achievable with a modest but realistic budget. But then, when I got to the Classic Heads, Matron Heads, and Draped Busts, it became tougher. Large cents in good grades like yours (actually "good grade" is an understatement for the Draped Bust you shared) is quite a challenge to my budget. So I have to save up for quite awhile. And I'm not even thinking about the Flowing Hair cents, Liberty Caps, and Fugio coppers. (OK, Fugio is not technically one cent but I think it deserves a place in my collection... when I can finally afford it.)

Eduard and 1916D10C like this.
  8. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Nice thread, thanks guys!

9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Jeff, it is really great to see this kind of enthusiasm for U.S cents in a collector. Collecting cents/coppers is a rewarding experience which will yield much enjoyment, (and which is also quite addictive:)!)
    As you mention, there is a point where 'prices' get in the way. That is certainly true, but even then you can still find nice pieces at reasonable cost with patience and perseverance.
    Specific dates which are available without much difficulty, and where it should be possible to find nice examples priced reasonably are 1802 and 1803 for the Draped Busts, and 1810, 1812 and 1814 for the Classic Heads.
    These are two examples which strike a balance between cost and aesthetic appearance / grade.

1812 cent S-288 VG10 Obv1N good pic - 1.jpg 1812 cent S-288 VG10 REv1N good pic - 1.jpg 1816 cent lower grade examples obv1 N - 1.jpg 1816 cent lower grade examples rev1 N - 1.jpg

Good Luck with your collection!:)

JeffC and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. JeffC

I wanna come to your house and look at your Large Cents collection!!! LOL.

11. JeffC

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and a blonde

Mainebill and 1916D10C like this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Frank, I'm shocked. Surprised but shocked.

14. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Same, same, same.

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I prefer red. In copper and in hair

Kirkuleez likes this.
  16. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

I honestly don't have a particular preference so long as she's fit, smells good and 40 or younger. Though Latin women are badass. Growf. <3

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Don’t have to be fit. I like curvy girls. And don’t have to be under 40 my wife is curvy redheaded and looks early 30s she’s younger than me and I’ll leave it at that

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Red hair yes!, copper I prefer brown.

84 posts to go

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

81 now. You'll get there!

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

not if you knew me.

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted