Recent Addition to my Large Cent Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Jan 13, 2019.

1. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Yup. J.N.T Levick, Ed Cogan, Mickley, et al were allowed into the mint to pick out what they wanted at face value - they just had to pay in silver or gold. Boo hoo!

Levick wrote that after a few times, the mint workers figured out what they were looking for and after that they couldn't find anything.

If you're a member of EAC, I wrote an article or two on this in 1999, IIRC. Take a look at the PW CD or up on the website.

Eduard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Anything else I would have said had already been said. All of the white specks on your coin made me want to blow on my screen.

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Fair enough. If you insist on detracting a thread which is supposed to be interesting and informative, with comments which hover at the level of a Kindergarten, I guess there is nothing I can do to stop you.

1916D10C and CoinCorgi like this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

He's just jealous he can't afford your coin.

1916D10C likes this.
  6. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

Yup. Ed, don't let the trolls get you down. Lint or not, that's a nice LC.

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Did someone hack your account? You have never struck me as the type of person to make silly ad hominem attacks. You are too classy for that.

I unmuted your comment just to see what misinformation you spewed, and you could not be any more incorrect. I know I cannot afford any of Eduard’s coins, and I appreciate that he shares them (have I ever ridiculed his coins before? Nope). Just in this case I found the lint distracting and suggested that he should remove it.

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Very interesting, and thank you for pointing me to PW for further reading. I have located 6 issues of PW for the year 1999. I will leaf through each to find the articles you wrote.

9. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

that is a great pickup right there, congrats!

Eduard likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Eduard likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I, for one, never knew about the additives to canned air.
    Intereresting

TypeCoin971793 and 1916D10C like this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Just don't tone to much and don't slab yourself.

13. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Good show, @Eduard. BTW I have issues with specks, lint, etc. too. No big deal.

Eduard likes this.
  14. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Try this. Take a can, put the firing end of the straw in the palm of your hand. Pull the trigger. Feel what hits your hand? Doesn't it feel like liquid? Now taste the palm of your hand where the air hit. Taste a little funky and bitter?

I would never recommend putting questionable substances NEAR a valuable coin, much less blast the surface with them. Just the idea makes me cringe.

Instead, get an ear flushing bulb from Walmart. That will direct a stream of normal air and remove dust if necessary.

Eduard likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I hear ya and I agree but I'd rather try this with a spray can of whipped cream.

JPeace$ and 1916D10C like this.
  16. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Very nice coin with excellent surfaces for the grade. Congrats on your purchase!

Eduard and CircCam like this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You've found all of them then. Back then it was issued bimonthly. Now it's quarterly.

18. CoinCorgi

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

CoinCorgi, PW stands for Penny-Wise. It is "The journal of Early American Coppers, Inc., popularly known as "EAC," Penny-Wise presents the latest research on the early large cents and half cents of the United States".

I was able to access it via the EAC website which took me to the Newman Numismatic Portal. As a member of EAC you can access the documents.
    It may be possible to access directly to the Numismatic Portal, but you may need to register there. I am not sure.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    CoinCorgi likes this.
  20. CoinCorgi

Thanks Eduard. I had looked at the EAC website but didn't see any clues...must be blind lol.

21. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

The Newman Portal is free - https://nnp.wustl.edu. For the PW article, select Library from the top menu bar, then Periodicals, then P for Pennywise, then Pennywise, then 1999.

The article is in the final issue of that year, Nov 15, - "Mass Melting of the Early Copper Coinage."

Draft saved Draft deleted