Received wrong coin from bullion dealer...(European Gold)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by A Novice, Apr 26, 2021.

1. A Novice

A Novice Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I am new here, and also new to coin collecting. I've had a question that I would like to get a consensus on. First, a little background.

I ordered an Austria 10 Corona gold coin in AU condition (random date, not a restrike, 0.0980 ozt.) When i received this order, to my surprise the coin that came to me was not the 10 Corona coin, but a Germany 10 Mark gold coin in what appears to be average circulated condition, (0.1152 ozt).

This mistake was made by a major bullion company. I did not report the mistake, as I believe the extra weight in gold makes this fortunate for myself. But I wonder if the 10 corona coin, in its condition, would have been a better coin than the circulated german coin that has a little more gold.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance.

I would have posted this in the world coin forum, but my access is still limited as i am still new here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you can post it here you could have posted it there just as well. But I'll save you the trouble and just move it there for you :)

A Novice likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would report it sir. The German coin will be worth more than the Austria one, and I would let the dealer know they made a mistake. There is a pretty good chance they will simply let you keep it, but I like to sleep well at night knowing I always tried to do the right thing. I am pretty sure you would let them know if they shorted you a little gold, so return the favor and let them know.

5. A Novice

You're absolutely right. I will report it. Even if they ask for the coin back, that's okay. I will sleep better knowing I did the right thing. Thank you for the reply.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I had a mix up from a dealer and he was so happy to know where that coin had gone as he sent my purchase to the buyer, who was NOT happy at all. When filling orders, even the largest dealers can get orders mixed up. If you kept it, someone that paid for it would be losing.
    Welcome to CT BTW.

A Novice likes this.
  7. A Novice

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.
    I don’t believe it was a mistake of sending the wrong order. The mistake happened, I believe, when the company was inventorying the coin. The label on the flip indicates exactly what I purchased, it’s just that the coin was wrong. I still plan on letting them know, but I believe 100% this had no effect on any other customer.

serafino, medoraman and Evan Saltis like this.
  8. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Curious
    Which company? Theres one I have in mind which has been doing a fair amount of these messups recently.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Knowing this changes my mind a little. Seems like they bought it as the lower gold coin. So, they are not really out anything since they must have paid less for it.

Having said that, I would still inform them. However, if they tell you to just keep it I would feel better knowing they didn't pay more for the coin than expected.

A Novice likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted