Rebooting the Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Fogemort, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Fogemort

Fogemort New Member

I collected coins when I was a kid but stopped after college. I recently got the itch, so I dug out my collection. I have a decent amount of 20th century coins, especially Lincoln cents and Jefferson nickels. I'm missing mostly key dates and a handful of older coins, as well as stuff from 1990 on. I decided to start with trying to complete the nickel collection, as that seems like a relatively easy way to dip my toes back in the water.

My plan is to use bank rolls to complete the recent issues and buy the rest. I have a few questions, though.

1. Most of my pre-1960 coins are in circulated condition. It's fairly inexpensive to buy the missing items in mint state (minus the key dates), so I'm going to do that. I'm not sure what to do about the existing items, though. Should I not worry about having some MS and some circulated coins? At least for now? Should I eventually start replacing the worn coins with MS copies?

2. I have a jar full of doubles consisting of pre-1960, circulated items, and a handful of S mint marks from the late 60s. What do people do with their doubles? Do they keep them? Do they sell them? Are they even worth more than face value?

3. What do people do with silver doubles? I have a handful of them and they are all worn, so I doubt if they are worth anything more than melt. Do people sell them? Or do they keep them?

4. Do people look for varieties in the Jefferson set (other than the D over S stuff)? Or do they mostly just fill books/albums?
    I have similar questions for the Lincoln cents, though I'm hoping to do them after I complete the Jefferson set, as the key dates are much more expensive.

Thanks for any help!

- Kevin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MercuryBen

MercuryBen Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin,

You sound like me 10 years ago or so. I collected as a kid, mostly circulated 20th century coins. I stopped when I went to college, and then started picking it back up in my late 20s.

The transition to a child collector to an adult collector is an interesting one. I can't tell you what the right thing to do is: there is no right answer, and the only thing that matters is what makes you happy.

However, I can tell you what I did.

I sold my entire collection on EBay (it was only worth a few hundred dollars), and then restarted by collecting Mint State PCGS certified coins. I also narrowed my focus. Instead of collecting all the popular series, I focused on a couple of sets. It is incredibly difficult to become an expert (or have the money) to focus on 10 or more sets. After a few years, you will become comfortable with understanding how the certified coin industry works and can expand your focus, buy coins in NGC, ICG, ANACS holders to crack/cross etc.

My recommendation would be to find a series you love, and start collecting mint state examples. Focus on quality over quantity. Learn everything you can about the series, grading, eye appeal, toning, luster, strike, the grading industry, the various auction houses, etc.

Ben

Garlicus and Santinidollar like this.
  4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I too collected as a kid, stopped in late High school and college, and picked it up again when my kids were very little.

As a kid, I collected Indian Head cents, American Silver Eagles, buffalo nickels, anything cool I could find < $25.

Well, when I got back into it, I made a bunch of mistakes, bought a roll of generic MS63 Morgans, thinking I would get them graded and become rich. Paid $150 for one of those mixed lots of no-name (non PCGS, non-NGC, non-ANACS) fako TPG graded coins. It was listed as containing "$10,000 worth of coins". It was all trash of course. I also did a bunch of other stupid things, can't even remember them all.

After wasting a lot of money and not having anything to show for it, I was dormant again for a couple of years, but the itch was still there. Still looking, but not spending, since I was burned.

Eventually I bought this coin from eBay because it looked absolutely amazing to me: 1923 $1 SILVER DOLLAR - PEACE LIBERTY HEAD NGC MS65 CAC.

1923-$1.jpg

I didn't really know about NGC or PCGS, definitely nothing about CAC. But the coin just wowed me. Somehow that lead me to cointalk, wanting to know more about graded coins and general info, and whatnot. That sole "nice" coin sat around a few years, and I had my raw IHC kicking around in cigar box, and the coin itch grew.

I stated reading, and looking, and decided I loved Ultra Camero PR69 Kennedy Halves, best of all I could afford them. I build an entire set, took me years, the hunt was fun (I hunted on an extreme low budget). I then sold that set when I got bored of 99% of my coins looking the exact same. Due to finding a very nice cameo Accent Hair Kennedy, I even made some money (otherwise it would have been a break-even) But my knowledge from taking years to built it was 100x what I knew before. Lurking on CoinTalk for years before even bothering to join certainly had educational benefits.

I decided to try "TYPE" collecting, it made so much more sense to me. It had a focused goal, without being the same thing over and over. And that CAC sticker I didn't know about, well, I finally was more curious about it and late 2012 I decided I knew enough to start spending real money again. Thus, I spend the next two years building my CAC type set, buying and selling many quality coins.

Then of course, I starting chatting more regularly with Doug @GDJMSP and realized I still knew nothing, so I had to stop collecting again, LOL.

TLDR: I made a lot of mistakes getting back into collecting, and hard to learn the hard way. Dont be me! Find a coin series you like a lot, and can afford, and focus on that one thing. Read everything you can get your hands on. Learn along the way, and roll that knowledge into perhaps a more serious and expensive specialty for future years.

p.s. That CAC peace dollar is still in my permanent collection. That one coin likely saved me from abandoning coins collecting a second, and final time.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  5. Fogemort

Fogemort New Member

Wow, thanks for the responses!

Ben, I'm not sure that I can wipe the slate clean. The coins have way more nostalgic value than monetary value, but I definitely understand what you mean.

Geekpryde, thanks for the warnings. I can see the temptation of "quickly bootstrapping" with a big buy, but I do believe that you get what you pay for, so you need to be careful.

It does sound like I need to focus, though. As a kid, I tried to collect everything! An uncle gave me a few Mercury dimes, so I got the book and added the rest of the set to my want list! Haha. I dug out my want list last night. It had hundreds of dates from a bunch of series that would cost tens of thousands of dollars to complete. :)

I do think I'm going to start with the Jeffersons. I need about 30 combinations of date and mint mark to have the full set, 1938-2019. A handful are expensive (i.e., > $10), the rest are pretty cheap (~ $1). Should be fairly straight forward.

After that, though, I have to do a little thinking. I was originally going to try to collect Lincoln cents, but I'd like to consider other sets that, to me, are far more interesting. Maybe Flying Eagle and Indian Head cents. Maybe Seated Liberty coins, which I think are amazing, even if they are a bit expensive. Or maybe just focus on Nickels. I have a few Buffalo and Barber nickels. It would be cool to work on those sets. Or maybe that's too wide a scope.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's alright, you can blame it all on me, I got broad shoulders :D

But I want ya to answer one question, would ya still say you know nothing ? :)

7. GDJMSP

And Kevin, what you're gonna find out is that coin collecting is a very personal thing, and everybody's different. Everybody has their own taste, their own preferences, their own way of doing things - and all of them are right and none of them are wrong. My term for explaining it is chocolate and vanilla. So pick your flavor and go where what ya like leads ya ! That's the best advice I can ever give anybody ;)

Indianhead65, John Skelton and yakpoo like this.
  8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

History
    Completed collections
    Type set collections
    Numismatic investment
    Bullion investment
    Mint anomalies
    From pocket/roll searches, only
    Treasure hunting

There are many reasons why people collect coins. The key is to understand the hobby's attraction to you...then focus on that type of collection.

Also, never spend big bucks on anything you don't understand. Research if fundamental. There are flippers out there who make a good living reselling problem coins to the uneducated.

9. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Kevin, this is my two cents worth. I'd scan for varieties, put aside any exceptional looking ones and flip them and put them away and forget about them. I tend to keep everything as it marks time and I've gotten so much now that holding it versus releasing anything back without my up close review just scares me. Hence, I have tons of wheats, junk silver and the like. I guess I am hoping a 16d mercury or two suddenly appears, or the 55ddo or whatever appears that I missed. Basically I'm a coin hoarder.

10. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I definitely know more than nothing, its just a whole lot less than everything. Of course, the parts I know are almost entirely due to CoinTalk and more specifically you. So you can take satisfaction in that! :cigar:

I kept all my "kid" coins until I was a few years back into the hobby. I wasnt prepared to sort the monetarily valuable from the emotionally valuable coins when I first came back. As I learned more, I was comfortable with unloading most of them. I did mostly declare coin collection bankruptcy, but it wasnt a total clean slate, that way I could keep a coin or two from when I was like 8, and use the funds from some of the less desirable coins to make new purchases.

Here is a coin I bought from a coin/stamp shop in Windham Maine when I was very young.

1907-1C.jpg

It was raw for 20 years, and then I sent it to NGC, and then to CAC. I did that with about 15 coins from my childhood, and sold most of them. I was nostalgic enough to keep a few, but also focused enough on my goal at the time (CAC type set), to be comfortable selling off the others in pursuit of another coin.

After a few years, you might also decide something similar, keep a special coin here or there, but not necessarily hundreds and hundreds just because.

11. Fogemort

Fogemort New Member

I really appreciate all of the advice. I guess I haven't really thought more about what I want to do other than "fill the coin folders that I have". That's partly why I got out of it; I was overwhelmed with all of the "holes" in the folders.

I'm going to do a bit more research and consider what I really want to do. If the goal isn't just to fill the books I have, that makes things much more interesting, TBH. (Sorry to just think out loud...)

12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same here. When I came back to my coins in my mid-20s, I realized I no longer had any interest in date & mint mark sets, so I got rid of a stack of Whitman folders -- mostly cents, nickels and dimes. All I kept from my childhood collection were two Morgans and a Peace that were gifts from an uncle, a set of P and D clad bicentennials extracted from mint sets, and a handful of world coins and banknotes brought back from WW2 by family members. Aside from those, I started over from scratch. Never regretted for a second dumping those Whitman collections.

13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Coin folders can lead people -- especially kids -- to believe filling holes is what coin collecting is all about. It can be, but it doesn't have to be. I eventually realized that filling holes wasn't for me. It may not be for you, either.

Much MUCH more interesting. Saying no to the holes can set you free!

micbraun likes this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, in the 1960s, I got into type coins, but Indian Cents were my first love. I completed that set, but got bored with it in the early 1970s, sold it and lost a lot of money. It was a combination of a falling market and money spent on common dates that now seem to be out of fashion. My gold type set way more than made up for what I lost on the Indian Cent collection.

I agree with the others that sets can get boring because it is the same thing over and over. That’s why I became a type collector. Every coin is different. I have collected a few sets, like the Classic Head $2.50 and $5 gold pieces, but those sets are short, 19 coins total, and it’s a time in history that I enjoy.

The point is collect what you like. Don’t feel compelled to conform to someone else’s opinions.

15. Fogemort

Fogemort New Member

I'll be honest, this thread went in a direction that I wasn't expecting. And that's a good thing. :)

I always assumed that type sets were something you did with doubles. They seemed too "simple" to me as a kid. You get a Barber nickel, a Buffalo, and a Jefferson, and you're done with 20th century nickels. Etc. Thinking about it now, that is completely wrong. For example, there are at least five different Jefferson types (original, wartime, 2004, 2005, 2006+), and maybe others that I'm missing. I'm rambling a bit, but that's because I'm having a lot of interesting thoughts.

Do folks recommend the Whitman Guide Books on specific series? It looks like a new version of the book on type sets is coming out in a few weeks. Perhaps that's a fortunate coincidence! Haha.

16. johnmilton

The Whitman "Red Book" series is excellent. I would recommend these books for any topic that interests you.

I have the book on type coins by David Bowers, and despite that fact that I have been a type collector for 50 years, there are things in there that were new to me. If you get into type collecting, I would highly recommend it.

17. Fogemort

Fogemort New Member

Thanks for the recommendation!

I think the right thing to do is to spend some time and money on educating myself. The coins will still be there, and I'll have a much clearer picture of what I want to do.

Thanks again for all of the help. It's been truly eye-opening. :)

Garlicus likes this.
  18. johnmilton

buckeye73 likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

Just you wait, eventually one of those thoughts will stray over into the "dark side" (world coins). And once that happens .......... well, lemme put it this this way.

It's kinda like looking up at the stars in the night sky all your life. And then one night, suddenly being able to see what's out there through the Hubble telescope. All of a sudden you discover that the universe is a whoooooooole lot bigger than you ever imagined ! And way more interesting ;)

Maxfli likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

It has long been said that the truly wise man realizes how much he has yet to learn. Seems to me you've reached that point.

I'd have to say you're due more than a bit of satisfaction yourself ;)

21. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

I agree totally with GDJMSP! I too wandered into the world coin universe, and the history and possibilities seem endless. I first thought of collecting one coin from each country, but soon realized that that was too easy! I now collect by country, by ruler within the country (if they made their own coins), and by coinage type (hammered, cast, milled, decimal, etc.). I currently have at least one example of 3,178 different countries/rulers, but have over 15,000 actual world coins. Of course, this doesn't even count my US coin collection. I collect not for investment, but for the sheer joy it brings me. Learning a LOT of the history of the world through its coinage is a side benefit.

Draft saved Draft deleted