Reason why I also collect post 1200AD coins.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Nov 27, 2020.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Won this while I was off in dreamland (I had put in a proxybid)

AV Dukat 1697 Bern Mint
    Swiss Kantons/ Bern
    obv: Crowned Arms of Bern/ Brown Bear (symbol for Bern) in cartouche/ Rev: Topless male/ female holding drapes.
    23mm. 3.46g. .986
    Bern was part of a Swiss Confederation of 13 Kantons/ something akin to NATO/ however instead of Russia the enemy was Austria/HRE and in 1400s Burgundy, esp. Charles the Bold.

This coin shows the artistic talents of the Mint masters/ engravers of the Baroque era. bern-1697-6295875-XL.jpg

eparch, ominus1, Valentinian and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Supporter! Supporter

John, the attraction to coinage like this needs no explanation ;). Great artwork and engraving speaks for itself :D.

spirityoda and panzerman like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky Supporter

Amazing artwork and engraving. Found it in my 17th Century word coin catalog. KM#62, 1697, Ducat, high priority of gold .986 gold, weight- 3.5 grams. May I ask what grade this coin has ?

5. panzerman

According to auction house Vorzuglich-FDC/ probably be a MS-65 if NGC/ PGGS would slab it.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. spirityoda

So your coin is worth $6,000+ ? Wow.

panzerman likes this.
  7. spirityoda

I always look forward to your next gold coin purchases. Your collection blows my mind. :):cool::cat::cat::cat:

panzerman likes this.
  8. panzerman

You and I would have had a tough time spending them, had we been around in 1697:happy: I saw a 20 Dukaten piece from
    Sincona/ /last auction/ too die for......400K
    I ended up winning it for 2200 SFRCS:) Which was the "Starting bid" In the previous Sincona Auction 5/2016 " a Special Bern Collection" one in lesser quality sold for 6K.
    Sincona is a way better known auctionhouse. Auctions are strange in many ways, often most coins are hammered way over estimates/ in rare cases you end up stealing a coin:happy:
    John

9. spirityoda

2200 SFRCS = U.S.A. Dollars ?

10. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

11. panzerman

Pretty close, sadly I live in Canada where we have to pay 1.35 for a US$/ 1.60 for a EURO/ you are so lucky to be in the USA.

12. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I love the inscription on the reverse, which translates, "May Jehovah God be blessed".

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted