REALLY cool Indochina/Vietnam era silver bar? coin? anvil???? Please help me...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coin0709, Jun 18, 2013.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

I have this really cool 6.59 oz silver bar that is shaped like an anvil. I think it is an Indochina piece. Can anyone help me identify and/or translate it? Any help would be much appreciated. I will follow this up with a picture of the bottom. Thanks.

DSCN5910.jpg DSCN5911.jpg DSCN5912.jpg DSCN5913.jpg DSCN5914.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

DSCN5915.jpg

Attached Files:

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have seen but am wary of those anvil bars as there are lots of modern replicas, the latter piece is a Thai Baht in silver - ie a bullet money coin.

5. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Thanks for the reply. The anvil bar (is that the right common name for them?) is legit. It came from a very wealthy US dignitary who traveled with the Pres. Richard Nixon administration. I strongly believe it to be authentic.

6. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

It's a "saddle" sycee from China's Yunnan Province.

Please go to this web page and scroll down to "No. O-D-3". Click on the image for a larger view.

This is your sycee. There is a difference in the "chopmark". The chopmark on this website's sycee is "fu hsin" (福興). The chopmark (character in oval) on your sycee is "ku" (庫).

A different sycee but with the same "ku" chopmark as yours may be seen here.

A sycee that is similar to the one on the sycee-on-line website and was in a Beijing auction in 2011 may be seen here.

The weight of your sycee appears to be correct.

I have no experience with sycees so am unable to authenticate your piece.

Gary

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes. They are called pod duang. They were issued from the Ayuttaya period through Rama V. Most Rama V issues though were ceremonial in nature, and he is the King who demonetized these and converted Thailand to western style coinage. Yours appears to be a Prasat symbol indicating Rama III. If it weighs around 15 grams its a baht, anything less a half, quarter, eighth, etc baht.

8. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Can you tell me how much the Beijing auctioned sycee sold for? It looks like it is probably in the $900-$1200 range. Does that sound about right? I've seen some sycees 'listed' for SEVERAL thousand dollars. I wonder what makes them more collectible? Just rarity?

Thank you very much Gary.

9. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

The "appraised value" was RMB 10,000 - 12,000 (US$ 1,600 -1,900) but the sycee went unsold.

Gary

Draft saved Draft deleted