Really cool 2016 coin contest!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Kasia, Jan 4, 2016.

1. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Good point, is it a 1930 one cientevo?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Thank you to the people who played this. This contest is officially over. I will be looking to see if any prizes can be awarded to anyone.

What was in the box:

Tube 1:
    24 coins (23 US, 1 Australia)
    US:
    9 nickles:
    1- Buffalo:
    8- Jefferson:
    1 - 1987 D
    1 - 1996 D
    1 - 1997 D
    1 - 2004 D Louisiana Purchase (Hands)
    1 - 2013 P
    1 - 2014 D
    1 - 2015 D
    1 - 1943 D (War/Silver)
    8 dimes:
    8- Roosevelt:
    1 - 1980 D
    1 - 1988 D
    1 - 1994 D
    1 - 1999 D
    1 - 2004 D
    1 - 2010 D
    1 - 2012 D
    1 - 2014 D
    4- Washington Quarters
    3 - 1976 D Bicentennial
    1 - 1976 P Bicentennial
    1 - 2007 D Presidential (Thomas Jefferson)
    1 - 2009 D Sacajawea (Planting Corn?)
    Australia:
    1 ten cent, 1981 Australian

Tube 2:
    24 coins (U.S.)
    5 cents:
    5 - Lincoln Memorial:
    1 - 1980 P
    1 - 1982 P
    1 - 1993 P
    1 - 2002 P
    1 - 2008 P
    10 Jefferson nickels:
    1 - 1964
    1 - 1981 D
    1 - 2014 P
    2 - 2014 D
    1 - 1958
    1 - 1987 D Proof
    1 - 1974 D (error/layer)
    1 - 1951
    1 - 1943 P (War/Silver)
    6 Washington Quarters (1932-1998 version):
    1 - 1980 D
    1 - 1980 P
    1 - 1981 D
    1 - 1983 D
    1 - 1970 D
    3 Washington Quarters (National Parks version)
    3 - 2015 D (Blue Ridge Parkway)
    1 Dollar coin:
    1 - 2009 D Sacajawea

7 2X2's:
    1 - Germany - 1 - 1 Pfennig, 1905
    1 - Belgium - 1 - 10 Centimes, 1862/1
    1 - Malta - 1 - 2 Mils (Proof), 1977
    1 - USA/Philippines 1 - 1 Peso, 1907
    1 - German States (Hamburg) - 1 - 2 Mark, 1876J
    2 - Russia - 1 - 1 Ruble, 1992
    1 - 1 Five Rublei, 1989

1 2x2 envelope with raw coin:
    1 - 1973 S Ike (dollar coin)

5 Slabbed coins: (all US)
    2 Franklin halves:
    1 - 1957 PCGS
    1 - 1963 PCGS
    2 Ike dollars:
    1 - 1971 S (Silver) PCGS
    1 - 1971 D (RDV FS901) PCGS
    1 Washington Quarter
    1 - 1958 ANI

2 2011 Silver Proof sets (US), 28 coins total: (S mintmarks)
    2x:
    4 - dollar coins (presidential)
    1 - dollar coins (Sacajawea)
    1 - 50 Cent (Kennedy Half)
    5 - Washington quarters (nat'l parks)
    1 - Nickel (Jefferson)
    1 - Roosevelt dime
    1 - cent

3 2010 Silver Proof sets (US), 42 coins total: (S mintmarks)
    3x:
    4 - dollar coins (presidential)
    1 - dollar coins (Sacajawea)
    1 - 50 Cent (Kennedy Half)
    5 - Washington quarters (nat'l parks)
    1 - Nickel (Jefferson)
    1 - Roosevelt dime
    1 - cent

3 1996 Uncirculated Coins (US), 33 coins total, plus 6 tokens
    3x:
    P set: 1 cent
    5 cent
    10 cent
    25 cent
    50 cent
    p mint token
    D set: 1 cent
    5 cent
    10 cent
    25 cent
    50 cent
    d mint token
    W dime (50th anniversary of Roosevelt Dime)
    1 Dime

1 Specimen set (Canada) : 2011 $2 Young Wildlife Series - Elk (7 coins)
    1 - 2 dollar
    1 - 1 dollar
    1 - 50 cent
    1 - quarter
    1 - dime
    1 - nickel
    1 - cent

5 rolls Lincoln cents: 250 coins total (5 rolls of mint-wrapped pennies)
    1 - 2009 D Professional Life
    1 - 2009 P Professional Life
    1 - 2009 P Formative Years
    1 - 2010 D
    1 - 2010 P

4. Kasia

Ok, I want to really thank rzage, brandon spiegel, longshot, -Andy-, wcoins and fretboard for getting into this, because it came down to judging your answers and how you went on to see who might win something. The others who put in guesses either were not close or were not enough guesses to work on as far as winning something for the guesses.

@rzage, I loved the fact that you brought up the Canadian Set, and it lead to good guesses and number of Canadian coins total, but you didn't follow up on it. Also, you guessed so close to the proof sets, and I gave you the fact that 1989 was too early for the proof sets, and that the number of proof sets you guessed (9) was nearly twice as many.... which means that I had to have at least 5, not 4, because it meant also that it was less than twice as many. You also guessed that the main US coins (which were not in sets, you mentioned 8 tubes of US, and I had two) were Jeffs, Sacs, Kennedy's and Washingtons. I told you I had at least three out of the four types. No one followed up really on the US coins in the tubes, or even to see how many coins would be in each tube. (though longshot did mention some of the types of coins I had). I also mentioned that I was 'in the most, a modern American girl' which indicated that the majority of all the coins would be modern (1964 up) US ones.

@longshot I'm impressed with the way you came in here and guessed, although some of the guesses weren't improving on your other ones. And that I could respond to your guesses which lead to better ones. I wished you had re-read and decided based on my remarks that I had more than 4 proof sets. As far as guessing types of coins, you did mention that I had Jeff nickels and Ike dollars, but you never followed up with those. You also went with the lincoln cent rolls and practically nailed it, so that was awesome.

@fretboard you joined in later, which was to your benefit. I wish more had done so with your level of persistance, but oh, well. You managed to get the total number of coins in the box, and start guessing as to what the other coins were outside of Canadian or Mexican. And you were the first to get in there to try to figure the real makeup of the non-Canadian world coins. And you managed to hit a lot of the ones *very close* to the countries I actually had coins from.

@brandon spiegel I loved that you were guessing in here, but unfortunately it didn't pan out for you. But you did find out there was a Philippine coin, just not the year you were guessing.

@-Andy- you were the one who got the 5 rolls of Lincoln's in there for others to work on, so kudo's to you. You went down one number on proof sets, and I wished you had gone up one, because I think that then it might have been better later on for people's guesses.

@harris498 Thanks for playing. I wish you would have come back with more guesses. You were the first to get the number of US vs World Coins, and you nailed it that the Canadian Set had the only Canadian coins in the box.

@wcoins sorry, you were a little late to this and with your guess on the Baby Rabbits one I decided not to say no or yes because I felt that in this case, further answers on one or two coins would only lead in to a guessing one by one on this and other coins. The purpose of the contest was to be able to look at the whole thing and not just focus on individual parts, which was what was happening. There would have been a number of ways to figure out what other coins would be in there and if you had made some guesses that included others and put the 2014 rabbit in as a guess in that, I might have been able to respond and exclude that for you.

And to all regarding the clues I gave for the Canadian set: I did at one point say that with a guess for 2010, that it was in the right decade, yet not a 2010 one, and that it was maybe baby animals one. That only left 2011-15. That and the obscure ones mentioned regarding it "What a pity if you can't figure that out" and then later I said "There is a really obscure clue as to which Canadian Specimen set it is. It results from a play on the sound a phrase can become if shortened a bit being the name of something. I used that phrase in a previous post in this thread. Call it an alternate reality. It should serve some persons. " The Elk is also known as Wapiti. It's latin name is Cervus canadensis, and I mentioned Serve some persons.

FINAL OUTCOME:
    I think that based on the everything, fretboard gets the consolation prize offered and I can't give out the main prize on this one. So pm me your addy. As a note, it was only your including the tokens as part of the US ones that through your number off otherwise, your post number 70 would have been so close to what I asked for in the contest on getting numbers 1, 3, and 4. You definitely missed point number 2 because you never really went into the US coins other than the rolled ones here. Or tried to nail down the non-proof set, non-lincoln rolls.

But I also thought longshot was really remarkable on this as well - you were responsible for getting the Lincoln's nailed down and I think you deserve a prize for that, so you pm me your addy and I will find something to send to you.

Lastly, I really, really, want to have someone win the proof set I offered here, so I will come up with a contest that will offer it as a prize. Just not the same kind as this one was.

rzage likes this.
  5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Though I didn't win it was a fun contest . Thanks Kasia . And keep that learning hat on . One question "where do you buy them , I need one too . ;)

6. Kasia

Thanks, rzage. But you can't buy a learning hat. You have to create it yourself. :) Anyone can have one if they want to.

rzage likes this.
  7. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Hey thanks for the contest. I wanted to put more time into it but just too many things vying for the attention of my limited brainpower....anyway, it was fun.

Kasia likes this.
  8. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Thank you for the contest and the recoginision =) it was fun i greatly appreciate it

Kasia likes this.
  9. FVilleme

FVilleme New Member

1) how many coins are in here, including sets: 1,210
    2) what coins or coin sets are in here 1 cent Lincoln 705; Indian 01; Wheat 13; Jefferson; 101; Buffalo 6; Washington 43; half dollars: 7
    3) how many coins are U.S. coins, and US coins: 876
    4) how many are foreign coins. Foreign: 434

10. Kasia

11. FVilleme

FVilleme New Member

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Cool! Thank you for the mind boggling contest! wave.gif

13. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

Thanks for the contest!