Really cool 2016 coin contest!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Kasia, Jan 4, 2016.

1. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

428 total coins, with rolls of 2009 & 2010 Lincoln cents.
    4 United States proof sets, 1 2000 'Knowledge' Canadian Specimen Set.
    Total of 7 Canadian coins, 8 Mexican. Balance is US.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

No Mexican coins. You are getting warmer regarding the Specimen set. It is after 2000 and it comes in a nice leatherette book. Perhaps a baby animal one???? Baby animals are sooooooooooooooooooooo cute. But which one? You are basically right about the makeup of the non-US coins... 7 Canadian (in this set) and 8 other non-Canadian world coins.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

My guess is below.

438 total coins, with rolls of 2009 and 2010 Lincoln cents.
    4 United States proof sets, 1= 2003 'Knowledge' Canadian Specimen Set.
    Total of 15 Canadian coins. 423 are US coins

5. Kasia

You can continue guessing things that have been discounted (such as thinking, evidently that a 'knowledge' coin is somehow the same as an animal or that my saying there are 15 world coins, i.e. 7 Canadian and 8 non-Canadian, translates into 15 Canadian coins). How the heck can 7 Canadian coins and 8 non-Canadian coins equal 15 Canadian coins?????? No type of math is going to get you there.

What are the proof sets? What are the other coins? What type of packaging are they in? Lots to find in this box.

large_image.jpg
    To recap:

Yes there are 5 Lincoln Rolls, I've already stated what they are (Confirmed). Wow, that makes 250 of the coins that are in the box. You also know that there is somewhere south of X number of coins in the box total (go look for my remarks that lets you know what number), and that the rolls were accounted for, so please don't be looking for more coins in rolls. I have also said there is a Canadian Specimen set, and given some clues (note, more than one, and one is obscure) as to which it is, and that it has 7 coins. This is the total number of Canadian Coins. There are other world coins, but there are no more Canadian ones, and they are not in sets or in rolls. Meaning they are contained somehow in other way. And none are Mexican. Of the remainder of the world coins, one is sort of a dual coin. Let's get cracking as to what those are and how they are contained. There have been enough clues to get that at least started.

Yes, there are at least 4 proof sets (maybe 4, maybe more) but it has not been determined how many coins are in those proof sets. If you can count those and find the other sets that are in the box, you may be able to figure out how many coins are not in sets or rolls, and that might give you some idea of the number of coins you need to account for in some really specific way.

There are a lot of ways people can make guesses to entertain an answer from me either to confirm it, deny it, or give clues as to where you might want to go with your answer to get further on.

Let's get some ideas flowing and maybe see some creativity in trying to get this done. No one will probably be able to guess everything without putting up their ideas here as guesses to see where they might need to improve on their answers.

6. fretboard

838.gif So is my 438 right? How about 423 total? How about 7 Canadian and 8 Japanese? laughhard.gif

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  7. Kasia

The total is somewhere south of both 438 and 423.

8. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

there are 250 wheatbacks, 4 proof sets that have 5 coins in each with one token in one. There are an additional 30 canadian coins, and 15 from other countries in europe and another 5 from asia. There are also an additional 100 loose dimes and 35 v nickels

9. Kasia

lol 250 wheatbacks????? how did they get there? 30 canadian coins????? and 20 from others??

No, the tokens are not in the proof sets.

10. fretboard

Alrighty then boss man! Now I have something to work with, I think?. applause.gif

Kasia likes this.
  11. fretboard

New guess: Now, hopefully you tell me what I have right, cause I gotta have at least two items correct.

421 total coins and 6 bus tokens
    3 rolls of the 2009 specialty backs (two Professional Life, a D roll and a P roll; and 1 P roll of Formative years) and 2 rolls of the 2010 shield cents, a D and a P, all in the White Special Mint wrappers=6 rolls
    397 are US coins, below is your Canadian set!!

Canada 2010 Lynx Kittens Baby Animals Special Edition 7 Coin Specimen Set with $2 Coin
    Above is the set that has the 7 Canadian coins. Also, you have 2 Japanese coins, 3 Chinese coins and 3 Korean coins.

12. Kasia

Yes, you have at least two items correct.

13. brandon spiegel

ohhhh, hmmmmmm. are tehre 5 rolls of lincon cents. 421 coins total. 30 coins in 5 proof sets. and 141 forigen coins with 41 of them being canadian and the other 100 are form other countries

14. brandon spiegel

are tehre 6 coins in each proof set? and a bunch of euros for the forigen coins? 2 cent euros =)

15. Kasia

Just over a week left for this contest to run. As I said in the OP:
    The contest will run until either someone wins based on the rules above, or if no winner is had within 30 days and I can determine someone's answer fits close to what is in here (i.e., has the right number of sets, right number of rolls of coins, right number of tubes of coins and general mix of what is in each tube, right number (or or close) number of 2X2 and slabbed coins, etc) then that will determine the winner. If no one fits in with these (above) then I will instead provide a consolation prize to the person who tried the hardest and came the closest without getting the answer as specified above.

So far only some has been identified. - The total number of coins, the number of non-US coins, the number of non-US coins that are in the Americas, the rolls of coins, the Canadian specimen set which has 7 of the non-US coins, that there are at least 3 Asian-Pacific Region countries for the other non-US possibilities, and that 2 of them come from one country. The tokens are part of sets, yet they are not proof sets. They are not bus tokens - they do come from the US mint. That there are 4 or more US proof sets, and a number of coins held in various ways: tubes, slabs, 2X2's (cardboard and mylar or envelope).

So here is a few ideas to toss around (may be restating what I've said before). The tubes (clue: 2 of them) are small clear plastic types and each contain what I would describe as a 'handful' of coins, the tubes are not tall ones that can contain 50 coins (like a roll of dimes or cents can). Each tube has an equal amount of coins in them, but they do not have an equal composition of coins. One of the coins in one of the tubes is non-US.

Aside from the Canadian Specimen Set, the Tubes, and one coin in a 2x2 envelope (not the cardboard/mylar type), there are 3 or more sets (proof or non-proof) or types of holders. The sets with the tokens in with them are kind of unique and special for one specific reason.

There is a really obscure clue as to which Canadian Specimen set it is. It results from a play on the sound a phrase can become if shortened a bit being the name of something. I used that phrase in a previous post in this thread. Call it an alternate reality. It should serve some persons.

You may have to go back to other comments I've made for clues as to what you might want to be guessing.

One special clue for one coin: This was minted in the US, though not in Philadelphia and is in with the non-US coins. It is not the oldest coin I have in the box. The oldest coin I have in the box is an overdate. And the second oldest coin I have in the box is also from the 19th century.

There are at least four US proof sets, which only come from two years. The proof sets and the rolls of lincoln cents comprise more than 3/4 of all the coins in the box.

Good luck. I may or may not make more specific clarifications in coming week.

16. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I'm in.

To start, 7 Canadian coins - 2014 Baby Rabbits Special Specimen Set.

17. brandon spiegel

Is the special coin a 1944 ten centievos from the malsian mint when we occupied the phillapines?

18. Kasia

no - the coin is neither a ten centavos or 1944. Pre-WWII. And not minted in Denver.

19. brandon spiegel

Hmmmmm,
    Hmmmm, interesting, is it a 1942 one centavo?

20. Kasia

Is 1942 a WWII year? Does pre-WWII include 1942?

brandon spiegel likes this.
  21. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Is the specimen set the 2014 Rabbits?

Draft saved Draft deleted