Really cool 2016 coin contest!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Kasia, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Zero - you took them all out to count/categorize/classify.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Ok, I don't mind if this contest runs for a while. I will give it that there are 4 proof sets (at least), and what are they? How many coins in each? (Do these Proof sets even have tokens???) Hmmmm. Where will that lead?

Keep lowering the coin count by 1 and you might get the number sometime this month or next.

Yes, there is a Canadian Specimen Set, but which one???? What a Pity if you can't figure that out. And about how many coins does that make of Canadian coins? No on the Lincoln Memorial Set. There could be loose ones, though, here and there. As far as State Quarter Sets, none 'per se'. Where are the Ike Dollars? Are they loose, in slabs, in Proof Sets, or rolls? How many?

4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

throwing this out there is it ONE coin. the stupid coin? insert coin? insert coin to continue 25 cent to reject? Hero coin and gold coin?

5. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

6 quarters 13 dimes 46 pennies and a half dollar.

6. Kasia

Andy, and others .... start reading what others have guessed and my responses. You should be able to at least get near two or three of the items in the box so far

-Andy- likes this.
  7. -Andy-

do we get multiple guesses in a day?

8. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

That's such a stupid question that I'd have to say no, YOU don't get multiple guesses in a day. But those that read the instructions do.

But it's not my contest so I won't say anything.

9. Kasia

Hmmmm. I think you did say something. And anyone who participates in this contest as an entrant gets 4 'guesses' in a day. There is a reason for that. This is complex and would not be fair that there wasn't a chance to tweak an answer or two if you are trying to figure out one or more items. Also it allows a person who makes a guess and then sees more posts after to be able to come back with what might be a better entry than before.

bdunnse likes this.
  10. -Andy-

Hmm, I REALLY want to win this contest, I almost never win contests!
    I'll put a guess in tomorrow.

11. -Andy-

3 US proof sets, 3 rolls of wheats 2 rolls of Lincoln cents, 9 candian dollars (coins)
    259 coins (not including proof sets)
    I REALLY hope I win! I really want to invest in lots of silver, but I really don't have much money to work with. :(

12. Kasia

Andy: I will give it to you that I have 5 rolls of Lincoln cents in this box. But you are wrong on the details (though you have the fact that 3 are one kind and 2 are another, but I won't go into what 'kind' I'm talking about in confirming this).

As I said with another, I have 4 proof sets (so of course that makes me have three) but there could be more. Also there is a Canadian Specimen set (this is where reading some of the other remarks might come in handy), but which set has not been determined. I have no knowledge of a Canadian Specimen Set that contains 9 Canadian Dollars (lets call them 'loonies'). I do not count my Specimen set as a "proof set" as far as this goes.

I don't know how you came up with 259 coins total when you have listed 3 proof sets in with the requisite 250 coins that are in 5 rolls of cents (by the way, wheaties are also Lincoln Cents, but I presume you are trying to differentiate between the wheat backs and either the memorial back or shield back ones) and 9 loonies. And how did you put wheaties in there in rolls when I mentioned to the person who said I had 6 rolls of wheaties, that he should consider a different set of years?

Keep trying, you do have 4 chances a day to see what might be there. :)

13. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I don't get it! [​IMG]

14. Kasia

Maybe time for an update: So far, various people have found out for sure that I have less than 444 coins in the box, that 250 of them are lincoln cents (5 rolls), that there is a Canadian Specimen Set in the box, at least 4 proof sets, and 6 tokens (tokens not counting for the total number of coins). They have also been told that coins are either in 2X2's, rolls, tubes, or elsewise (like in sets) though how those sets are packaged I did not specify. I did say that the rolls of cents had special branded wrappers and I indicated that the tubes were small tubes and could not hold more than a handful of coins each, of which one was not a US coin.

What is needed is to figure out the number of coins, and what coins are in there and how (like the rolled lincolns).

I have given some obscure types of clues in my remarks which if you toss around in your head might make you come up with some ideas to guess.

Keep it coming, this can take a while, but remember as you are guessing the box is not super big, so it can't hold some items that have been guessed.

15. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

4736 coins, there are coins that are from the US canada and various parts of europe. Tabotu 2358 coins are of teh US mint adn 2387 forigen coins

16. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Total 434
    Total US 274
    Total World 160
    3 - cent rolls incl. log cabin, formative years, presidency. 2 rolls shield cents. 1 each 1973S - 1976S proof sets,
    1997 or later Canadian specimen set, Balance low denomination world - Canadian cents, centavos, euros,

17. Kasia

longshot. I will give that combo to you, on the Lincoln Rolls, it is almost dead on. There are three rolls of the 2009 specialty backs (two Professional Life, a D roll and a P roll; and one P roll of Formative years) and two rolls of the 2010 shield cents, a D and a P, all in the White Special Mint wrappers.

You are very close to the Canadian Specimen set as it is 1997 or later but it is more unique than just saying it is 1997 or later. Something special is in there, and there is an obscure reference to the set in my comments before this, that if it could be deciphered, would give you the exact one, as well as giving you the total of Canadian coins in the mix, which is about half the total non-US ones (maybe exactly half if you don't count one which is kind of like a two in one.)

18. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Thx Kasia, and to the rest of CT feel free to pitch in. There's silver in it for the guy who can solve the puzzle! :happy:

19. 0000

0000 Member

1) 1000
    2) statehood, ike set, sba set.
    3) 975 us coins
    4) 25 foreign coins

20. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

275 us coins, 26 coins in the proof sets with 4 tokens and one hundread forigen coins totaling 401 coins adn 4 tokens

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Draft saved Draft deleted