Realistic Asking Price for an MS-66 Silver Roosevelt Dime Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kanga, Aug 14, 2019.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Opinions, please.

I have a full set of silver Roosevelt Dimes (1946-1964) slabbed MS-66 by PCGS/NGC.
    All the Mints are present (no S Mint coins were issued in 1956-1964).

The July/August 2019 PCGS Rare Coin Market Report has the set listed at just over $1000.
    IMO Roosevelt Dimes do not appear to be a popular set.

What would be a realistic asking price.?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

To be honest @ $1000. Seems cheap in ms-66 for a full set.
    But like Jeffersons nickel sets in unc. $300.
    Next is Franklin halfs in xf to mid ms a dime a dozen now maybe...65, and up is a different story. I did watch at 1 show a guy get passed up by 20 plus dealers selling a Franklin set nice ms coins in a capital holder. .....no offers not 1 . Not even melt as they #1 really didn't want them for inventory.#2 They didnt want to make such a low ball offer.

And I do recall maybe last year....a hoard of 49 s mint state rolls hit the graders, and dropped the market price,as they flooded e bay.

4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I’m not sure about the ask on that one... I found very little interest when I sold mine (PCGS in 66 and 66+, all white coins) and ended up taking a dealer offer which was higher than what I had listed them for on eBay and they hadn’t sold at.

Much as I respect and appreciate FDR, a design change might really help those become a more interesting collectible. It’s tough when they look exactly same in your pocket, just clad.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

For some reason, even when people like silver, they tend to like larger coins in general. This being the smallest of moderns and with such a small palette to work with design wise, Roosevelt is collectible but never got popular. It's a shame that there is no realistic way to determine how many of any of the dates existing population could be attained. This set might have more popularity once it's found out that perhaps billions went to the melting pot.

6. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

No price is realistic until the price you are willing to sell at crosses the price that somebody is willing to pay.

However, because you are dealing with a graded set, you are going to run into a few setbacks.

First of all, you have a mixed lot of both PCGS and NGC. So, although you may technically have a full set of silver Roosies, you do not have a full set of PCGS silver Roosies nor a full set of NGC Roosies. I believe it would be harder to sell at any premium price because the buyer will have to consider the risks of playing the crossover game and possibly downgrading to an MS65 on a number of coins in order to have a full registry set of a particular grader (PCGS or NGC). Not oly that, but I personally do no believe such low cost coins warrant the fees involved to grade in the first place.

Secondly, this is a mid-grade set. The coins are fairly plentiful and readily available. Many of the potential buyers you would have probably won't need a good number of the coins offered in your set. Unless somebody is just getting into the registry bug, or is moving up from an MS63/64 set (which again does not warrant the grading fees to begin with), I do not believe you will have much interest in the coins as a set.

You also need to consider not only your costs in building the set, but also the costs of venue fees, merchant fees, and shipping fees when selling.

So, unless you are financially motivated (ie need the money ASAP), I would suggest that the best thing to do would be to audit your entire costs in building the set and determine the bare minimum you are willing to accept out of it. Then determine your costs to sell (all of your fees) and add those in. If you are going to consider any offers below your asking price, then you should also bump up the price for that consideration as well.

Then it is all simply a waiting game until you find the buyer whose desire for the set crosses with your price (or makes the offer that achieves or exceeds your minimum).

Another consideration would be to take your bare minimum and bump it about a bit or so and send out blind offers to dealers to purchase your set. That bump up will allow them to haggle back and forth with you.

For example, if you prudently built the set up and your total costs to acquire were only $600, then consider venue and merchant fees of up to 14%. That will require you to ask about $685 to recoup costs. The 48 slabbed coins will ship registered mail for about $35. So, that puts you at $720 ask to recoup costs. Bump that up for room to haggle and it's realistic.

RonSanderson and tommyc03 like this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Thanks for the responses. My WAG is 80% of catalog, so about $800.

Actually I'd like to hold on to them until the design changes.
    But except for an occasional noise in that direction there doesn't seem to be any firm efforts to remove FDR.

Fortunately I don't need the money.
    But at 77 I'm beginning to sense my horizon.

8. oipapi

oipapi New Member

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I was just using the MS-66 set to get a feeling for market interest as well as value.
    I also have a complete PF-67 set.
    And a complete MS-66 FT set.
    Both are mixed PCGS/NGC.

Draft saved Draft deleted