Real or replica

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Wareagle1983, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wareagle1983

Wareagle1983 New Member

My grandfather died and left a bunch of valuable coins to my dad and uncles but this one somewhat suspect in my eyes I'd love to hear what you have to say thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

4. Wareagle1983

Wareagle1983 New Member

I've read a lot of different opinions in several forums. Seems to me that everybody it's more focused on their two cents then the actual process of these being made we're no strike is the same also can be made in different materials but it seems to be like everybody so eager to get out what they think they don't actually think but thanks for your help

5. Wareagle1983

Wareagle1983 New Member

And I want to point out I'm not saying any of y'all are wrong it just seems like there's no common consensus to these coins

6. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Looks modern cast, no indication that it was hand hammer cast also looks very thin. The minter mark makes no sense. Correct if I'm wrong please.

7. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

1- It seems to be a little off.
    2- It should be silver.
    3- It is hard to say from a photo sometimes.
    4- If you have concerns with people who is expressing an opinion, you should take it to someone you trust. It´s that simple.

BlackBeard_Thatch, Makanudo and TIF like this.
  8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

if you feel so enclined give us up close photos and send it into pcgs ... cause if you asking for opinions and dont like whats said you need not ask..

9. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

if you believe its real do a acid test on it please

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

You have made a good observation and I know your frustration. Opinions are free. The problem you point out is due to the wide difference in knowledge on this forum and others. I will not embarrass any particular Internet forum by giving the % of worthless opinions I see that would drive anyone seeking information crazy. My particular favorite goes: I don't know anything about this but...:facepalm:

You need to hang around for awhile on each site to determine the knowledge of specific members. Many are probably correct 97% of the time (no one is perfect w/photos) some even drop close to zero and many of their posts are poking fun at others rather than answering questions.

I fall somewhere in between. I believe your piece is a replica. It looks like pot metal or lead and it is too small. There should be a raised line along the center of the edge and round pits in the surface.

:rolleyes: Do not clean, cut, or acid test your piece. See my comments above. ;)

11. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Please. DO NOT DO AN ACID TEST.

I can not tell from the photo but should it be real, it appears to be a Royal strike and could be very valuable.

I am far from an expert on eight real colonial issues but I would treat it as genuine until I could prove otherwise.

12. Insider

:rolleyes::facepalm:

Great info...no acid! Did you or the OP take the time to search the links above or a simple search of the Internet where the exact duplicates of this "rare gem" are posted? The coin is a common REPLICA! Make sure you don't buy one of these if it walks into your shop. ;)

Sorry @Wareagle1983 I feel your pain. :arghh::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Place your coin onto a magnet & see if it sticks. There may be a suitable magnet on your electric can opener.

I believe that the "coin" is supposed to be a 1736 Spanish Colonial 8 Escudos. It is usually found in gold color but apparently it has been made in other metal colors as well.

Here is a photo I believe originated from Daniel Sedwick's database of fake cobs:
    Fake from Daniel DB.jpg

Edit to add: If you would like to further research the possibility of finding an exact die match, you can look at the Potosi replicas in this database:
    http://www.sedwickcoins.com/fake_cobs.htm

Michael K likes this.
  14. Insider

Welcome to CT! :D Please let us know why you think the piece is authentic in spite of several images of identical replicas? What do you see that other members have missed?

15. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

He is a troll. Check his comments in Sallents recent thread.

red_spork likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

To be fair, he said it was suspect in his eyes when he started. Anyone can certainly remain silent on the thread, that is your right, and as long as the OP is polite and within the rules, he is allowed to have his opinion also. If he or anyone violates the rules, action will happen. but even if he were to think a moderator is wrong, and stays within the rules, he can post alternative opinions. Jim

17. Wareagle1983

Wareagle1983 New Member

I've read some old posts and this could be a Dutch replica, supposedly they made a bunch to piss the Spanish off. Yalls thoughts. My granddaddy's coin collection is quite valuable (mostly consists of old US coins) this one was the only one that caught my eye and not in the good way. Thanks for everyone's input

18. Wareagle1983

Wareagle1983 New Member

If y'all would like next time I'm at my father's we'll go up to the safety deposit box and I will take numerous pictures or the coins my grandfather collected over the years I believe there's an 1800 Morgan Stanley silver dollar if that makes sense? and a few walking Lady Liberty coins along with some others. He took great pride in collecting these coins and I know a coin fanatic would love to see what he's accumulated over the years

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  19. Wareagle1983

Wareagle1983 New Member

I found these in the Old Post look pretty similar to what I have

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted