Real or not? Morgan's and piece dollars???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Motox, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Motox

Motox New Member

So hard for me to tell:( didn't know if anyone could stop something. Sorry for pics I was at a pawn shop and was in a hurry. Didn't have time or scale to weigh them or magnet test just got a few pics and had to go. Was planning on going back to have a better look after the weekend. Many thanks ahead of time on any reply s.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

From what I can see:
    The 88-s looks suspect, the '23 looks polished to death, the 78-cc looks wrong, the '79-cc has a granular texture to the surfaces (could be photo, but suspicious to me), the big '85 photo also looks like the coin has granular surfaces.

Personally, I would look for nicer coins. Any of the coins which look decentish are common dates/mm. The higher value coins all look suspicious or cleaned to death.

In short:

PlanoSteve likes this.
  4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

You really need to post clear cropped photos of each coin to know more, but if any are suspect, you should move on.
    Buy graded coins, or find a trustworthy dealer to purchase from until you're able to grade yourself.

Chuck_A and PlanoSteve like this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Some are cleaned, some have other problems, some look quite questionable in the authenticity department. I wouldn't buy unless I was very sure of my abilities.

20191222_092821.jpg

PlanoSteve likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm going to go ahead and say that the Morgan set is fake from start to finish.

Look at that granular surface on the 1885 close-up. Now look at the whole set, and see how uniform they are -- all the same look, all the same texture, all the same remarkably clean fields with weirdly-shaped luster.

The last time I saw a Morgan with this look, it was a 1901 at the local pawn shop. I might have been taken in by the amazingly clean fields, despite the odd texture -- but then I flipped it over, saw that there was no mintmark, and realized that it would be a five-figure coin if it was legit.

Oh, and there were at least ten others just like it in the display.

This book? Same deal. All the dates, all with the same texture, all in the same state of "preservation", even though that would make some of them $50 coins and some of them $500K coins. I'll bet you can buy the whole set as a single listing from our favorite overseas "trading partner". I wonder if they'll even throw in a fake Dansco.

I'm not as familiar with fake Peace dollars, but given the company this set is keeping -- nah.

Chuck_A, markr, mynamespat and 3 others like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Your photos are too small but a number of them have been cleaned.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  8. Motox

Motox New Member

Again many thanks. I couldn't believe what I was seeing myself. That's the reason this site rocks. And I kinda feel for the old timers like this guy that has no idea fake coins are out there without copy wrote on them weigh the same and no magnetic. And most of time you say something about being fake they get mad at you because they don't want to believe it. That they just lost 400$. The world we live in. Granddad always said remain silent and thought of as a fool or open your mouth and remove all doubt:) smart man...

ripple likes this.
  9. ripple

ripple Active Member

@Motox, I just made a similar comment about this site in another thread. I’m questioning every coin that I have now.

10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

11. -jeffB

Wait. Was this guy trying to sell over three dozen silver dollars for $400, or did he think he bought over three dozen silver dollars for $400? That's less than the melt value of the silver (if they were real coins). And if these were complete books, there were a lot more "coins" than that.

If he bought the two books for $400, he was trying to take advantage of the person selling them. If he was offering them for $400, he knew they were bad, and he was trying to take advantage of the buyer. It could even be both.

mynamespat, ripple and longshot like this.
  12. The grainy texture of the finish screams counterfeit to me.

13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I agree, but i have seen photos that made the surfaces look different than the coin looks like in hand, so I chose to point out some issues that obviously weren't just camera related.:)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  14. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Considering it's a pawn shop.... They probably bought an entire authentic set for spot, replaced the higher value coins with some fakes they hadn't found the right buyer for yet, and sold the better coins on ebay.

ripple and BenjaminFranklin1959D like this.
  15. -jeffB

Could be. At least the pawn shops I frequent try to avoid knowingly selling fakes as real coins, although I'm sure it's just out of fear of legal trouble.

Oh, and make that "spot minus 30-50%", from what I've seen. :punch:

16. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

The 1921 Peace looks to be AU & golden toned - based on the other comments, offer the man $20 and roll the dice :cool: - worst case, you'll have a $20 pocket piece...

Draft saved Draft deleted