Real or fake?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hunting Rare, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Hunting Rare

Hunting Rare Active Member

Just found this quarter in my late grandfather's coin collection...

Is this a mint error struck through a foreign object on a failing late die state?, something else?, or some kind of PMD fake?

Let me know. Thank you. God bless.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Looks to be a genuine coin but intentionally damaged somehow. A strikethrough would not show corresponding damage on the other side.

Hunting Rare likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Matching shapes and locations of the referenced details align exceptionally well from the obverse to the reverse.

This coin was placed between a punch and die, and partially punched.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

PMD - Post Mint Damage
    Not a Mint Error of any kind..

God Bless you also.

Hunting Rare likes this.
  6. Hunting Rare

So I can see how the obverse could be intentionally altered (sunken in) but if so, how did they get the reverse mark to be raised AND simultaneously underneath the original struck eagle design?!?!...Wouldn't that mean it was struck originally like that? (Don't know much about mint errors)

7. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

No, exactly the opposite. The reverse is pushed out from the pressure on the obverse. This could not happen if the coin was in the dies, had to happen afterward.

8. Hunting Rare

Thanks for the knowledge. I wish I knew what this person who altered it was doing and how he did it....did he have to heat the coin intensely first and what did he use to make that mark and why? So many questions, haha.

9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

The person who damaged this coin did so with tooling not unlike that shown below . . .

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted