REAL OR FAKE?!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by toned_morgan, Aug 19, 2018.

1. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Is it real or is it fake?

Capture d’écran 2018-08-19 à 09.31.04.png Capture d’écran 2018-08-19 à 09.31.11.png

Noah Finney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I think it is fake. The VDB is offset from center line.

4. Garry petry

Garry petry New Member

5. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

IMO, something just looks wrong with that coin. Is it on eBay? Link?

6. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

The rims don't match the wear on the raised areas. They look in too good of shape. I'm going fake.

*coins and Inspector43 like this.
  7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Hard to tell precisely from your pics, but here's the thing, if this is a real, VF coin, (looks VF to me, by your pics) then your looking at a roughly $1,000+/- coin. It should not be purchased raw. It won't cost any more to buy it slabbed, then you can break it out if you want. If it's being offered at a significant discount, that should trigger suspicion. I have 2, both bought slabbed years ago, & I am at perfect peace with my purchases. You are not likely to get incredible deals on such authentic coins.

Two Dogs likes this.
  8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

real...agree with PlanoSteve.

9. johnrpva

johnrpva Active Member

there are clear markers on the S and the B on the reverse on the genuine article... can't tell from these fuzzy pictures..

10. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Can't tell from these bad pics, sorry. Wouldn't purchase this one raw IMO.

11. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

THERE IS A RECENT 1909-S VDB THREAD DISCUSSING THIS.

12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

My apologies. Photography just isn’t in my DNA. No idea why these posted sideways..... These are verified 09,VDB and 09-s, VDB. The initials on both are slightly shifted left.

F9D6939C-7E31-472F-86AF-FA7A8EFA4C7E.jpeg 4C51ABE2-EC81-4D9C-ADC8-7C60356F7429.jpeg

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There is a recent thread discussing this, but this is a different coin.
    I am fine with a new thread for a diff coin.

14. Inspector43

Thanks Randy. I had never noticed that before.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The most often counterfeited mistake is the middle serif of the letter “B”. Though granted I can’t see it these days, the true VDB has an odd downward angle on the middle serif of the “B”. Most fakes will square that serif. At least the older fakes did.

Cheech9712 and Inspector43 like this.
  16. Inspector43

I have been collecting for 70 years and learn something new almost everyday.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Wonderful

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Since you've mentioned a desire to profit from coins....

You're too new to even consider buying such a coin raw, especially if as a flip. You would also be better off placing your efforts into first learning as much as possible about whatever type presently interests you the most instead of skipping around so much. Making money from coins sounds great, I understand this, but there's a lot more to it than simply buying low and selling high. You're not the first person to ever have this desire or idea - it's actually very, very common - and there's a very good reason why so many new wannabe sellers fail miserably. It's simply too easy to make poor assumptions or to focus more on hoped-for profit than the actual coin in question. There's also guys out there targeting folks like you, knowing full well how to appeal to their desires and convince them to see exactly what they want to. Understanding the pitfalls of this business is an absolute must if you truly wish to move forward.

One usually cannot simply waltz into any area in which knowledge is required and profit off of those possessing it, so why would it be any different with coins? Think about it....

If asking because you've a personal interest, the same goes. Your hobby experience will be much more enjoyable once you know what you're doing. Also, most collectors will experience a change in interests, so it's very likely that what appeals to you now will not be the case a few months down the road. "Saving" money by buying raw may sound great, but you're not the first person who has thought of it. If a coin you'd like for a personal collection, don't be afraid to pay up for something truly nice. A good and knowledgeable dealer can be an invaluable asset.

Bambam8778, frankjg, *coins and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted