Real or fake please....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by YOC, Feb 6, 2016.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I dont mind getting it wrong ......
    I bought these a few years ago and have never been too sure as I dont know the coin type all that well. Please can you guys and girls tell me what you think with any supporting evidence you may have. fingers crossed !!
    2.2g
    13mm
    feb 2016 016.JPG feb 2016 017.JPG
    2.4g
    13mm
    feb 2016 014.JPG feb 2016 015.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I am a complete ancient nooby, but those look nicer than any of that kind I've seen, so I say fake.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Hard to tell, but I am leaning towards OK.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:confused: I'm really curious...What's an ancient nobody? Do you collect ancients? Just how many of these have you seen.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Hard to tell from the small images. I have several of this type:
    Cherronesos Collage.jpg

dlhill132, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  7. jwitten

Noob. Newb. Noobie. Nooby. Take your pick. All stand for New-bie. Meaning I am new to ancients.

Insider likes this.
  8. jwitten

His pictures are actually a lot bigger than yours (for me at least) if you click on them. Nice coins by the way!

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I forgot about the feature to enlarge an attached file. Looking at the larger files, I think they both look fine to me. Love the pentagram. I bid on one least not long ago, but lost.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Without checking the comparative photos online, I'm tending toward fake because I do not like the way the reverse quadrants are flat with a bar separating them rather than tapered as my mind prefers. This is a type I no longer will buy because I am not interested enough to learn the known fakes. These may be good but the burden of proof is on the seller as far as I'm concerned.

There are several databases. We need a good index linking to them all.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php?album=search&cat=0&page=1

7Calbrey and stevex6 like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey YOC, good luck with your OP-coins (I have never claimed to be an expert at spotting fakes, so my legitimacy-opinion isn't worth too much)

:oops:

Oh, but I do think that they're very cool, so again, I'm really hoping that they end-up being winners!!

Ummm, all I have to add is my one humble example ...

chersonesos a.jpg chersonesos b.jpg

dlhill132, Bing and zumbly like this.
  12. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

They look very similar to some of the fakes on the linked report... so I am not feeling too good about them.
    The bars which doug refers are present on one of bings too....Top right. Assuming the bars are ok, but present only on unworn newly minted coins, it would be reasonable to expect hoarded coins deposited shortly after they were minted to display this characteristic. The coins I bought all appeared for sale within a month, so either a hoard raised its head or a batch of fakes did. Either is plausible.

13. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I don't like people assuming that coins are fake because they are too well preserved. Perfectly well preserved coins exist and are available to collectors.

More analysis is needed to conclude either way. In this case I believe that these are fakes.

They appear to be an exact die match to known fakes.

Look at the reverse die of the pentagram coin and compare with the following known fake (from Forvm fakes)

[​IMG]

Compare the reverse of the lizard coin with this one.

[​IMG]

Martin

dlhill132 and stevex6 like this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Draft saved Draft deleted