Real or fake Morgan?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TSE, Apr 8, 2020.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

They all look real. The smooth edge is probably machined off. The 85-O looks lightly cleaned.

TSE likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

A couple of LCS's in my area charge $5 a whack! Problem is, just because they come up with silver content spot on doesn't mean they're real. Both may be real, idk for sure! good luck!! :D

TSE likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto! ~ Chris

TSE likes this.
  5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Real and cleaned.

capthank and TSE like this.
  6. Hebron8654

Hebron8654 New Member

This makes me want to take a second look at mine.

7. TSE

TSE New Member

Hope nobody minds if I dredge up my post from a couple weeks back. I now believe that this recent addition of Morgan's are [mostly] real. Besides the one that had the altered edge I have found another that seems odd. It is a common 1921 San Francisco mint version with more wear than most of the others.

Dimensionally and by weight it appears real. It rings like all the others when tapped. But it looks strange. The surface seems to have a weird ripple pattern and some of the features are maybe a little off dimensionally. I took a picture of it on top of another San Francisco 1921 as a contrast. This one for comparison is also more worn than the rest of the group so I figured it would be better to show the differences.

The date seems to be of a slightly thinner font and the stars slightly smaller. Assuming this one is silver as I believe it is, would someone be making poured, actual silver fakes of such a common date Morgan? I know the split between spot and even crummy quality Morgan dollars is large, so I'm sure it would still be profitable for the unscrupulous to do so, but I haven't seen evidence of this kind of fake in the few weeks I've been searching for information about these coins.

Thanks for any more insight. If nothing else, maybe I've stumbled onto another in a long line of counterfeit Chinese junk. Doubtful that it is a previously unreported scheme, but I thought it was worth a look by you folks. 20200429_115707.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

From what I can see it looks real. How about the reverse?

9. TSE

TSE New Member

20200429_142002.jpg 20200429_143534.jpg
    It's hard to get a clear closeup with the phone, but you can see the wierd pattern in the body of the eagle. And back to the obverse, the letters in "liberty" seem to have been made with a wider impression as seen side by side compared to all the other coins. Here's another of the obverse and one of the reverse...

Been having issues with the edit for the pictures....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    capthank likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They look fine, just wear and the coin on the right has a lot more wear.

11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I've been bidding on a host of 1921 Peace dollars for what seems like forever. I finally won one today for a relatively small amount. There were 15 bids, though, and all of the bidders had fairly high feedback numbers.

capthank likes this.
  12. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

A real, but shaved coin. Someone got a few cents worth of silver in the great depression.

13. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Remember back in the day people would sand/file/scrape the coin for the silver/gold. Sounds petty but do enough of them and I guess it adds up

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted