Real or fake morgan??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Emilyrc, May 23, 2017.

1. Emilyrc

Emilyrc New Member

I bought this off of eBay having a hard time deciding if it's real or fake????

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. CoinG1901

CoinG1901 Member

Looks almost brand new. Raises a few flags immediately in my mind. Could have been cleaned if it was real. And also if you have a scale, it should weigh approximately 26.73 Grams in order for it to be authentic. Also with the flooding of the copied coinage from Chinese manufacturers. It is honestly hard to say in my mind if it is real or not. I would have to say it is fake in my opinion.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

....except for the part where the obverse is plainly worn down into the VF range. :)

The reverse image is a bit too blurry for opinion, but the obverse is much better and presents as a heavily-cleaned and polished example. I'm guessing the mint mark is from New Orleans although the same applies to San Francisco - in this grade it's a common coin not really worth counterfeiting (although that hasn't stopped them in the past). The date location is left of normal, but both New Orleans and San Francisco varieties have examples similar. Law of averages says it's a genuine but quite thoroughly cleaned example.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Very heavy wear & polished

7. Emilyrc

Emilyrc New Member

IMG_1642.JPG

This picture should be a better picture. Is there any way to reverse damage? And any ideas of value?

8. CoinG1901

CoinG1901 Member

No. Once the damage is done, its fate is sealed. The cleaning definitely pulled the value down a little. As of value, I am not an expert on Morgans enough to say.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

From what I can see it looks good to me just harshly cleaned and polished.

10. It's worth its weight in silver. TC

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Cleaned and polished. If you're new to the Morgan game, you might want to start out with slabbed and graded examples. Buying raw coins off eBay can be hazardous.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Did you weigh it?
    In the very first photo it looks small. But maybe it's an optical illusion.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Genuine, but cleaned.

Emilyrc likes this.
  14. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I took a good look at this coin I would say that it has defiantly been cleaned in some manner and most probably polished to some degree.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You can't precisely "reverse" the damage, but you can wear the coin additionally until the signs of that damage go away by carrying it as a "pocket piece" along with other change. There's a 1921 Morgan in my pocket as we speak, undergoing that process. :)

It will lose a grade or two along the way, but will at some point - that could be a couple or three years - again just resemble a typical circulated Morgan. At that level of wear, even uncleaned the coin was not worth more than $25-30 or so to begin with, and as a cleaned coin (I don't think it was polished now, the hairlines as shown in your new reverse pic are too prominent; those don't normally survive polishing) it's worth very little over melt value.

Emilyrc likes this.
  16. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Weigh it,
    See what it does around a Neodymium magnet,
    Check the diameter and thickness with a caliper.
    Those 3 things you should have in your bag of tricks to check coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted