Real or fake? Help needed on 2013 Maple Leaf.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NorthKorea, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yeah, regardless, I like that design. I will buy a few of those when they become available. Not crazy about the Queen on all the coins, but I guess that's what you have to(?) do if you're members of the Commonwealth.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I got an email back this morning from NGC. Apparently, they won't accept the coin without a COA from the RCM. Since the RCM refuses to answer my emails, I guess we'll never truly know. :)

4. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Just saw on eBay that the coins will be released on 28 Nov. Given NGC took a week to get back to me, and I leave for Asia Saturday, I'm doubting my coin will get to be entombed with a special "pre-release" label. :p

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like that as well. I collect the ML's raw and add them to a Dansco. If the RCM offers that coin, I'll probably get one.

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

APMEX is already taking pre-orders for the pieces.

7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Tom B.: Thank you for the heads-up.

I placed an order for 3 pieces!

8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

They will make a bunch of these...1 million pcs. Hope they will use special blanks or something, I hate those milky spots on maples.

9. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

They still might appreciate in value, even with a million mintage. I think all the wildlife series coins they did were million mintages, some of those have appreciated nicely.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I just like the Maple Leaf as a bullion coin. I haven't experienced the spotting on my coins. I have Littleton that I put them in and also collect the Kookaburra in bullion.

11. BillLeon

BillLeon Member

Beautiful coin! :)

12. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

13. AvidCollector

AvidCollector New Member

I can see why he asked. If he paid $100 it is automatically fake. If he paid around $1200 then it need to be sought out to be proven fake. Don't be rude sir. It's a forum. There are no wrong questions...

14. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It just goes to show different people have different thoughts. I never intended to be rude. To the contrary, I thought asking what he paid for it was a bit much. I never ask nor ever tell in any of my posts. That's why I said this was not directed towards anyone. I agree, there are no wrong questions, but there are sensitive ones. I never discussed paychecks when I was working either. Others felt free to ask. Financial questions are always tricky. If the OP doesn't offer this information, he may not want to advertise it. Let him offer up the information, not be pressed for it. There are many other ways to verify his concern without this type of specific knowledge. Yes it would help, no its not totally conclusive either.

15. AvidCollector

AvidCollector New Member

I agree. It is up to him and financial questions normally get sticky. Also I wanted anyone who reads this to know that I recently purchased silver from a company out of California, "Redwood Gold Group" and I have never been happier. I used to purchase from Monex gold but got a call from one of Redwoods reps a few weeks back and boy, did i stumble upon a gold mine! I added 1.5 ounce Silver polar bear and cubs to my portfolio. They simply beat my previous purchase price and included free shipping so it was a no brainier. They gave me a free coin for every 50 added. Just thought I would share. Have a great night!

16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Very good information on the silver purchase. I would post it again in the silver forum. As always, welcome to the forum. You will find it very friendly, open and knowledgeable. :>)

17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, the price of a coin/round is in no way absolute or "automatic" proof that it is fake, even if in many cases it can be suggestive; there are always the exceptions. The item itself can tell one all they need to know, but the problem is that not everyone has the knowledge or ability to understand what it's saying.

Now, which is more rude: to respectfully point out that asking prices paid is, or at least can be, considered rude, or to bump a two year old thread to chide the man for doing so? Just a little food for thought, sir.

18. AvidCollector

AvidCollector New Member

Food for thought. Your bumping me on a "Two year old thread" that people have been commenting on daily...and took your time to tell me so. Also if you can find me a pure gold coin for $100 i will hand you my portfolio. Good day sir.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

With a custom label that said it was given out so and so you can bet it would be worth it. I doubt anyone who got the set will have their coin slabbed! Hopefully you kept everything together so the TPGS can confirm the item.

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Forgot to read the thread again:facepalm: If it came w/paperwork and a watch, and a case try another service. Also, (I'm too lazy to read the original post now) track down the suppliers of the mint who may have gotten one and ask them for details OR send photo to NN and coin world with the story you posted AND LET THEM TRACK THE INFO DOWN. At the least your coin will get publicity, everyone will want it, you'll have a record of pre-release status, etc, etc.

21. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This thread is from 2013... the new comments make no sense now.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted