Real or fake? Help needed on 2013 Maple Leaf.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NorthKorea, Oct 31, 2013.

1. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Okay, so I didn't get any responses to the original thread (and I hope this isn't considered a rule violation). I decided to purchase the coin.

Here are images. I was lazy and used my PNS instead of DSLR, but I hope it's enough.

I'd love to have opinions on whether you think this is legit or not. RCM doesn't have anything indicating this coin should exist.

25 Back A.JPG 25 Back B.JPG 25 Front A.JPG 25 Front B.JPG 25 Reeding.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Do you mind saying how much you paid?

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This is far from being directed just at you, but that's a somewhat personal question. What he spent is not required to address his concern. The only information he wants is whether it is fake or not, regardless of it's cost. He could respond but I personally would not. This information should be left for the poster to offer up on his own, but not be asked to supply. IMHO.

5. vdbpenny1995

Ok

6. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

I think the question holds ground... say the seller was selling these for "$15" we know thats a good deal and without a doubt a reason to redflag something, although many people would be greedy and go ahead and purchase

Insider, BillLeon and vdbpenny1995 like this.
  7. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

Yeah, I completely disagree like others said what he paid may give you a quick answer to his question. I have never seen that 25 on a 2013 ML but it looks as real as any ML I have seen. To be honest is there really a lot of fake MLs out there? Is it worth faking a $25 coin.

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Perhaps if the OP was a total novice and stated such. I assure you this is not the case. He would know a red flag like that if it was present. If you would like to pose or phase your question to ask, was he comfortable with the price he paid, that would be sufficient information.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  9. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Or you know another novel thought.......letting NK decide for himself whether that question warrants answering or not.

Not everyone on this site knows that NK is an established member, you and I certainly do, but many folks are new here and new visitors stop by everyday.

Just as it is your OPINION that asking the value of a members purchase is rude, so is making members feel belittled by their automatic questions for genuinely trying to help.

All across this forum you see folks ask what someone pays, whether it is a high dollar coin, or a fake, or anywhere in between, it happens daily.

Almost every thread about a potential fake, the money paid is usually questioned. Why? Because the 'good deal' syndrome bites us all. And is usually the biggest give away if someone has purchased a fake. (I got an ungraded AU 09-SVDB for sale for $450, any takers?)

Doug repeatedly tells us that the 'gamble' is what almost always comes back to bite us, so it is a reasonable question to ask, especially in this setting.

It is only YOUR opinion that asking what someone pays is rude.

I personally could care less if someone on an Internet forum knows what i paid for a given coin. It's in my collection at that point and if I decide to sell, then that is up to me and for what price.

In general it's just not good 'etiquette' to generalize much of anything. Which is exactly what you did when you assumed any and all members would know that NK is knowledgeable enough to see the cheap price red flag.

At any rate, the coin is a beautiful specimen, and I would like to know if it is real or fake. For all we know he may have hit the jackpot on something none of us know anything about since no one has provided an answer either way yet.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    joecoincollect, Insider and Muckdiver like this.
  10. vdbpenny1995

Well, I can tell you that someone didn't add the "25" to an original Maple Leaf so now it either, A) Original from the mint or B) some sort of fake or fantasy piece. Is the weight spot on with one troy ounce?

11. vdbpenny1995

Unless that person had very high tech machinery I should add.

12. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

It looks good to me. I have one of their 1.5 oz ($8) polar bear coins. I don't recall anything on their website about it. I don't think their bullion coins are on the site. I think the 1.5 oz were a lear capital special run. Maybe this was a special run of some sort?

edit: where did you purchase the coin... ebay???

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  13. NorthKorea

I got a response from the individual whom I purchased the coin, and they explained that it was a gift given to them from the RCM at a conference in March. They are one of the refining customers (not sure what that means) of the RCM. So, it seems legitimate. :)

The coin was a part of a gift set that I had purchased. It was about $285 altogether for a watch and the coin.

Beyond that, thanks Sam for sticking up for me, but I don't fault newer members for taking the "If you got it for $15, you should know it's fake" approach. After all, my status or whatever says "New Member," and my decision to repost was kind of newb-ish, in its own right. Also, I looked at the pictures I used, and it kind of looks like they were taken on a roofing coating or similar substrate. It was actually on a foam padding material, since I didn't want to overly scratch or dent the surfaces while trying to image the coin.

Speaking of damaging the coin, it has ugly milk spotting.

Trey, thanks for sticking up for new folks also.

Edit: Jensen, that polar bear coin looks pretty cool. Thanks for mentioning it. And, yes, eBay, since the RCM was sold out and no stores were selling them.

Oh, also, it scaled within tolerance (1.001 Troy ounces) on my gram scale. I don't have calipers nor a basis of what the dimensions are, since I wasn't sure *which* troy ounce issued by the RCM to use as a guide.

Burnside_Q and treylxapi47 like this.
  14. NorthKorea

Got more info from the seller. Apparently, the RCM is going to release the coin later this Fall. I guess it will be one of those "10000" issues like the rest. :)

BillLeon and treylxapi47 like this.
  15. vdbpenny1995

Maybe you could get it to be sent for grading and they will designated as one of the very first which would give it a high premium on the market

16. NorthKorea

A "Pre-First Strike" designation? ;)

I can't imagine that actually having a premium that would be worthwhile to have a single coin graded.

17. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I like that design with the 25 on it

18. NorthKorea

I did too. That's part of why I bought it. My thinking was, even as a fantasy piece, it was really nice. But, now it seems it's a real coin and will be released later this year, so that's pretty cool. :D It would be "cooler" if it were a 2014 coin, of course, since that would make mine "special." :p

Edit: I looked into it... Assuming PCGS is willing to give it a special slab, the cost would be $52.95 to have the coin graded, First Strike slabbed and returned to me... I *really* can't imagine the coin getting a $70+ premium (since I have to ship it to them, as well) to warrant going through the trouble.

Edit 2: PCGS doesn't do First Strike for non-US coins, so I guess NGC would be the only choice... time to find four additional world modern coins to submit ... and since they don't count patterns, I guess I'll have to buy some. :p

19. Muckdiver

Muckdiver Member

Who are you to write such a comment? What's inappropriate about his question? He's not asking how much money he makes a year or how much his house costs? It's a coin. Settle down, it's not that serious.

20. NorthKorea

I don't think Sam was so far out of line for anyone to really take offense to his question. I believe his point was that if an individual is only going to ask "What did you pay?" without actual insight to the situation, then it's cause for potential concern.

21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

"Speaking of damaging the coin, it has ugly milk spotting."
    Wouldn't that automatically prove that it is legit and from the RCM? :p
    Joking aside, I think it's pretty cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted