Real or Fake? Gold coins I am considering buying...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ErrorHunter43, Nov 8, 2014.

1. ErrorHunter43

ErrorHunter43 In search of filth.

Here are screenshots of the Gold Dollar and Quarter Eagle I am considering buying. Given that I know almost nothing about gold coins, I am turning you guys (the experts) to see if they may be genuine or counterfiets.

Thanks!

The current bids:

$88 for the gold dollar with jewelry loop

$135 for the quarter eagle with L stamp image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

I don't think that the joy this bargain affects is of long time.
    Please consider buying slabbed coins since these series are highly counterfeit.

4. RabidRick

RabidRick Sardonic Devil's Advocate

I'm not sure, but do I recall seeing this in the Red Book under territorial issues? It looks very familiar but it has been many years since I read that thing.

Any jewler should be able to tell you if it's gold but you could also just weigh it and I think you'd get good idea looking at the specific gravity vs. the area (it's just a cylinder after all, minus the devices).

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'd pass on the '54 dollar as it looks like it may be fake to me , it looks porous and the details look too mushy to be real . Also there are no dentrils per say . The 2 1/2 piece looks ok but I didn't really check it against any known coins . I also don't know why it was counter stamped .

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I see no obvious signs of forgery on either coin, so I would have no qualms bidding from that perspective.
    Quality is another question though! The 1854 Gold $1 was used as jewelry and there is no way to remove that bezel loop without damaging the coin further. I wouldn't buy it. The 1851-O however is a nice earlier date with good amounts of luster present. Years ago the "L&R" would have just been considered damage, but more recently the value of counter-stamped coins has been increasing.

I might recommend buying different ones though....graded perhaps :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  7. RabidRick

Oh, snap. That's the actual design?

Just goes to show how much I know about gold x.x

I've been staying FAR away from it for a long time (aside from electrum).

But yeah, unless someone used some harsh acid or something, gold isn't very reactive. I'd wonder why it it porous. Also, the loop that's on it makes it unappealing to most colletors but you might be able to get that off with a desoldering iron (something like $14 at Radio Shack, or you can just by the bulb and a pencil).

Also re: LR -- I foud this:

http://www.exonumia.com/art/cma.htm

L R Brown, apparently?

8. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Both appear genuine.
    IMO, the G$1 is a bad deal at $88, but the counterstamped G$2.5 is actually sort of interesting for $135.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Given its date/mint, its surfaces, and the fact that some people do collect counterstamps, I suspect it will close a great deal higher than that.

10. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

I enjoy counter stamped coins. When I finish up my type set I'm going to do another one with all counter stamps

11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Both look real to me, but obviously damaged. I would pay around $90 for the $1, and around $220 for the $2 1/2. If they are on ebay, thanks for the heads up.. now you have some competition :)

12. jwitten

Now the $1 is over $106.. I would pass.

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Unless you have compelling reasons to buy either of these specific pieces, I would urge you to stay away and pick something in an area you have good knowledge or that is already PCGS/NGC certified as genuine and hopefully problem-free.

longnine009 likes this.
  14. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Ok a few things here.. 1st both appear to be real, On the 2 1/2 it seems to be selling at near melt value so don't see you going wrong there. On the $1 let me say that "love tokens" totally defacing one side of the coin sell for an average of $100-150. This coin with minimal damage from the ring soldered to it would come in a bit towards the bottom as it's details are not too great for the price. For about double that price... $229 apmex has that coin in AU so might be worth saving up a few more dollars for a better piece. Not to mention knowing for a fact you're getting a real coin not a fake. http://www.apmex.com/category/11912/1-00-us-gold-type-1-2-3-1849-1889

15. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Also as a side note, I picked up all 3 G$1 types for a average of $100 each about a year ago when gold was sky high, so if you willing to wait and hunt you can find some good deals on these.

16. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

There is something about the $1 gold that makes me weary. The surface condition just doesn't seem right. Too porous and grainy even if circulated.

17. Travlntiques

I might be able to address some of the issues people are having with the 1854 $1.
    Given the coins size the details often were lacking especially with regards to the denticles. It's about the size of a Half Dime and think of how many of those have weird denticles because they could never get the collar set right. Since gold is more malleable, surface hits like bag marks can create a pocked effect and we have to remember, most of these hits were caused, not by average circulation, but by use in jewelry. It was probably in a charm bracelet shaking and clanking up against other gold dollars and charms. So the overall patina will be a little different to what we're used to seeing.

The unspoken CoinTalk code prevents me from bidding on that $2.50, but that is a really interesting piece. Be sure to tell us if you change your mind about bidding :)

harris498, rzage and saltysam-1 like this.
  18. jwitten

$1 now at almost $130, and the $2 1/2 almost $270. I am the second highest on the $2 1/2. I did not know about an unspoken rule.. I say go for it if you want it.

19. Travlntiques

Survival of the fittest :)
    Go for it, really a cool coin!

20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Makes sense to me , thanks for the explanation . Guess I should have worded calling it fake as just my opinion as I don't have any experience with small gold coins . I wish more people would explain their reasoning like you did . Good luck if you bid as the 1/4 eagle is a cool early coin .

Travlntiques likes this.
  21. RabidRick

Is that because the heat acts as a catalyst? Even soldold pencil irons turn colors after while...

Draft saved Draft deleted