(real) Long Shot, but do you think any of these IHC's may be Proofs?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

sorry for the angled pics!

1864 cent obv 1 N OKP  - 1.jpg 1864 cent rev 1 N OKP  - 1.jpg

1882 cent obv 1 N OKP  - 1.jpg 1882 cent rev 1 N OKP  - 1.jpg

1901 cent obv 1 N OKP  - 1.jpg 1901 cent rev 1 N OKP  - 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

They all look like well struck business strikes to me. I don’t see the squared rims I usually associate with proofs. Still pretty especially the 64,

Paul M., Eduard, green18 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Proof or not, that '64 is a stunner!

Eduard, Hoky77 and Inspector43 like this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

They do not look like proofs to me.

Eduard likes this.
  6. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Nice coins but not proofs.

Eduard likes this.
  7. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

This is what you should see with a proof. I agree that the ones you posted are business strikes. Some of those can be quite prooflike.

01c 1890 PF full 01.gif 01c 1891 PF full 01.gif

As a counter-example, this is a business strike that is not too different from the 1890 proof, above. But notice that there is a planchet flaw in the left field, which indicates that the planchet was not polished smooth before striking. The denticles are pretty good, but not as sharp as the two coins above, and the rims lack their sharp and even shape.

01c 1896 full 11.gif

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Jaelus, Mainebill, Paul M. and 3 others like this.
  8. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Hi. Can you elaborate on what you mean by the squared rims? Thanks.

ripple likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Squared rims are associated with proof coins because they are struck with higher pressure, and most times struck more than once, thereby bringing up the higher detail........

Eduard, ripple and JeffC like this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I have a PR63 1885 Indian that does NOT have squared rims.

11. JeffC

I'm curious now. I'm gonna have to Google what they look like.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm not an expert and mostly deal with moderns. I have absolutely no knowledge about more classical coins and what the subtle nuance of 'proof' would imply. But I do think @ldhair might be able to shed a bit of light.

ripple likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Here she is. I don't have a pic of the rims right now but I'll try to get one. They're rounded.
    38631561_Max.jpg

Paul M., Eduard and ripple like this.
  14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Well, thanks everybody for your for replies, and for the instructive pics @RonSanderson .
    I thought I may have something with the 1882, and possibly the 1864.

The '82 was sold to me as 'ex proof' in the late 80's, so that is a bit of a letdown, actually.

15. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I am not sure if these are the best pictures to help, but I thought I would try to find a year where I had both a circulation strike and a proof.

At top is the proof, followed by the business strike.
    0739D7FB-D285-4325-B9E0-58BAF0E9CC12.jpeg 0B29EF43-6C38-4B47-99E0-B6A589031334.jpeg

The squared-off rims applies to both the inside edge where the fields of the coin meet the rim, and the outer edge where the rim might be as sharply angled as, say, the edge of a counter-top.

The business strike has a light reflection that shows how the fields curve upward into the rim rather than maintaining a total flatness all the way to where the rim rises up. There isn’t a sharp 90 degree angle, as there is in the upper photo.

Also note the flatness of the face of the rim, as if you could drive a miniature car all the way around the coin. The outer edge, where you would stand up the coin on edge, shows a similar flatness, although I don’t have a photo of that.

Eduard, green18, JeffC and 1 other person like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You guys covered it pretty well. I don't have much to add.

It's nice when the coin has mirror fields and square rims. Makes it easy to call it a proof but not always. @physics-fan3.14 I'll guess there are some PL coins out there with square rims.

The sharpness and detail in the design on the devices is a good sign as well as nice flat tops to the lettering and date. I'm sure that a fresh die with a strong strike could create the same look on an MS coin.

Images fool me. You don't always see all the detail that is actually there. To be honest, I reach for a Rick Snow book all the time.

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There are several examples of prooflike business strikes using proof dies. However, it is the squareness or roundness of the rims that is often used to determine whether it is a true proof or not! So, a business strike PL will have rounded rims.

Here's an excellent example of that: we know this is a proof die because of the eagle type, but if you look at the outside rim it is rounded.

JPA1076 obverse.JPG JPA1076 reverse.JPG

18. JeffC

Great explanation and pics. Thanks a million!!

Draft saved Draft deleted