READ THIS! The Next Generation Of Chinese Counterfeits Have Arrived

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Apr 25, 2015.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

@C-B-D what was your thoughts having a chance to examine them in hand?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Well, i see two "tells" but I guess I'm not allowed to share. Too bad if you're offered one and don't know what to look for.

4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

That was my thinking, too. The most lowly Chinese apprentice (the one who produces dies with a carbide Exacto knife) can put a counterfeit quarter and a genuine quarter side-by-side and tell the boss what areas need improvement, so we are just kidding ourselves about this.

It's the Americans who need the info

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

To me they were very convincing until I heard that unfamiliar ring.

Naplesjack and torontokuba like this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Might as well shut it all down then, including the forum itself. No more providing or sharing info allowed, fellas; the Chinese could be watching! Next I suppose we had better ban all quality reference material that even mentions die marriages, markers, in-depth variety info, etc, etc... it is all for the better good, right? The latter would only be as a precaution, of course, as we all know that the only way these Chinese schmoes could ever learn to, ahem, "improve" their product is by reading coin forums. Boy, are we lucky that not one in their billion-plus population could ever learn enough about our super special American coinage to copy it without the help of the CoinTalk membership! Fooled them, didn't we!

Naplesjack, Scott Ross, rzage and 8 others like this.
  7. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Could not agree more

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They sounded like the clang of Chuck E Cheese tokens. (Yes, I have kids). Frankly, I was surprised they were 40% silver as the owner claimed.

9. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

When I read the original comment, I snickered. When I saw it was a Mod who posted it, I almost put my palm through my forehead. This species is doomed.

Scott Ross and torontokuba like this.
  10. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

Yikes.

rzage and torontokuba like this.
  11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

There are probably several hundred posts on this forum pointing out why one or another coin is counterfeit, or at least suspect. Now, when presented with a better than before copy, we're told we can't disclose the evidence. If you weren't going to educate us, why did you bother to post? And how it sounds when dropped isn't much use to anyone looking at the coin on an online auction site.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  12. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Be careful the Chinese are watching.:shifty:

Scott Ross and torontokuba like this.
  13. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

Those that are concerned that Chinese counterfeiters are cruising Coin talk are the first ones to give an in-depth analysis of someone's favorite coin and illuminate us as to exactly why it is a Chinese fake, talking down to the excited collector as if he is a moron for falling for such an easily detected scam.

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

bearze34 likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

16. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

torontokuba likes this.
  17. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

These are not the counterfeits discussed in that article. This was confirmed by a former NGC finalizer.

And you guys can snicker all you want... I do not want to divulge the production mistakes they made with preparing their fake dies. The coins are fakes... They fooled many prominent dealers who I showed them to. I have not discussed their metal content, which is reported to be %40 silver until I have a chance to independently verify it with an XRF.

If you would like more information about them feel free to PM me... I however feel that posting this information in a public domain would be handing a gift to the fakers.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  18. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Scary no doubt........

19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I wonder how they'd react if some decided to fight fire with fire.

Then, the ChiCom government might actually feel some incentive to shut down these parasites for good, instead of simply slapping them on the wrist and then looking the other way.

20. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

personally I don't think its crazy at all, when the key dates for this series go for over 1K per pop in MS and > $5-700 in AU, and are rising in price slowly. Most of the collectors out there use your very same logic to talk them selves into buying a raw unauthenticated coin. When you know that, it's easy to see why the keys to this series are good opportunities to make money.

21. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

At first glance, I thought the L and I in LIBERTY are way off.

Is it confirmed to be a Chinese fake? This level of quality is known in other parts of the world. I thought China usually has the worst fakes.

Draft saved Draft deleted