READ THIS! The Next Generation Of Chinese Counterfeits Have Arrived

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LostDutchman, Apr 25, 2015.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I attended the CSNS show this weekend and one of the things that scared me the most for our hobby (and my business) was the coin below. This coin is the next generation of Chinese counterfeits. The Chinese counterfeiters are looking at websites (id bet this site included) and reading what we say about their products and making changes. This coin weighs 6.251 grams. Has a silver content... but is counterfeit. There are tells... which i'm not going to discuss here... but I hope this opens a few eyes to the issues our hobby is up against.

IMG_7568.JPG IMG_7574.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Damn. If that's a counterfeit, I am truly scared. That is an exceptional fake. If I saw that in a dealer's case, I would have no second thoughts about that as a genuine AU Washington quarter.

Naplesjack, Mikey Zee, cooper and 6 others like this.
  4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

5. StashTreasure

StashTreasure Never pass up silver or gold.

I wonder how many years it will be before we are all doubting our coins authenticity?

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Thanks for the info, Matt. I've actually seen a handful of fake counterstamps recently. These particular pieces were from Spain and showed pretty good workmanship,but there were some red flags as well. So far nothing that a serious collector wouldn't be fooled by, but things change.

Bruce

OdedPaz likes this.
  7. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

WOW! Just WOW!!!

Naplesjack and OdedPaz like this.
  8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Impressive . . . (no pun intended).

OdedPaz likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The more we learn and share with each other the more they learn.

OdedPaz and longnine009 like this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Matt
    Thanks for sharing!

I would not have hesitated on that one as real

Mikey Zee and OdedPaz like this.
  11. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

edit//

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    jlesliec likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It is crazy, odd they would do a boring washington quarter. Im waiting for the first 3-D printed coin fakes....

Mikey Zee, OdedPaz and jlesliec like this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Perhaps you missed the point being made. Providing information helps them. And not helping them is more important than showing your ability to identify the problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2015
  14. jlesliec

jlesliec Active Member

Also has a "stucco" (uniformly rough) surface overall.

OdedPaz and Traz like this.
  15. ToughCOINS

Doug, as a courtesy to all concerned, would you be able to remove the content of the diagnostic posts, or move to a private conversation?

rzage and OdedPaz like this.
  16. ToughCOINS

It should be a very, very long time before 3D printed counterfeits are as deceptive as this die struck piece is, although, I'd love to see them waste their time and money on such efforts.

Naplesjack, OdedPaz and rooman9 like this.
  17. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Matt. I will endeavor to step up my game.

Endeavor and OdedPaz like this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, I quit. Anybody wanna buy some coins? :/

Just kidding, but that is an amazingly good fake. I'd have never questioned it, considering most of the flaws just barely show up in a 10x magnified picture.

Mikey Zee and OdedPaz like this.
  19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I believe if you minimally investigate current technology for replication used by the mint and other American firms for "transfer machining", and the availability of original U.S. mint presses located in China, you'd realize that they could replicate virtually to perfection the keys of the series if so desired. If one were to acquire the more expensive "replicas" of the "Key" Morgan Dollars, they might realize counterfeiting to virtual perfection isn't a difficult process. Believed to be especially easy with the availability of U.S. "junk silver" coins available as scrap, and availability of the original pressing equipment.

It's reported that Kei Yu Loung, a representative for American Naha, a proported Chinese firm, has received ~$6,400,000 in reimbursements from the U.S. Mint for counterfeit "mutilated" U.S. coins. It's stated that "Kenny" Loung hasn't responded to inquiries.

JMHO

Naplesjack and OdedPaz like this.
  20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A wholesale dealer showed these to me at the show. He had bought 5 of them from a customer for $5 each. He told me that he was going to show them around to educate everyone. Glad he made it over to you @LostDutchman.

OdedPaz likes this.
  21. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I know the dealer. He gave me one to show around. Another scary aspect of these coins is they were not all struck with the same die pairs. Something else that was disturbing is that the ANACS grader I showed them to could not say for sure it was counterfeit... I then told him about one of the key details that I have left out here and he seemed quite concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted