Read it and Dream

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by +VGO.DVCKS, Sep 4, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

It's when you get near the bottom of the list and think...that Harthacnut's quite reasonable, only £3,000-5,000...and have to slap yourself because even that's more than double any of your other coins.

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Double?! Shoot, I'll have to slap myself a few times then!
    [​IMG]

"And yes, I love drooling over things I can't have...":troll: he said creepily whilst staring out the window and nothing in particular.

5. John Conduitt

John Conduitt Well-Known Member

Well, yes, I do collect Saxon coins in theory... I have a Burgred and an Eadmund, which are some of the more common (i.e. cheaper) 'entry level' pre-11th century pennies, and they're £1000+ after fees. I will probably have to remortgage to add to my collection...

upload_2020-9-4_21-35-33.png

Burgred, penny, 868-874, London. BURGREDREX+. +BEAGZTA [N]MON | ETA (Beagstan moneyer) (S. 938).

upload_2020-9-4_21-33-6.png

Eadmund, Penny, 939-946, uncertain southern mint. EΛDMVИD REX. EADR | ED MO (Eadred moneyer) (S. 1105).

6. +VGO.DVCKS

Tres good.
    When it got craziest from here was Lot 20, the one of Sihtric Cáech {Sigtryggr Gále}, 'The One-Eyed' (921-27). Eliciting bad language of a polysyllabic nature.

Ryro likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

John Conduitt, that's just Too. Freaking. Great. On both counts. I have to like the one of Eadmund a little more, for the reign. But they're both absolutely brilliant.

John Conduitt likes this.
  8. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

I went broke from just looking at the auctions....some really nice coins though

9. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

TIF and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  10. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

And there was dear Dr. Adams... When he started collecting coins as a boy, his parents told him it was wise to stick to gold coins only. And sensible as he was, dear Larry Adams did as he was told. This was the first part of his collection.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  11. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is the type of collection that needs it's own security detail. Short of selling a kidney on the black market, I don't think I'll be buying any of those coins. My personal favorite is the London Monogram penny of Alfred the Great followed by the Danelaw penny in his name.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  12. +VGO.DVCKS

...And what's the market for kidneys these days?

13. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. +VGO.DVCKS

Al, thanks for that ...took me a minute to process who you were talking to. Never mind the (even more) sordid connotations.

Draft saved Draft deleted