Re: Possible 1859 brass Canada Cent

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bill in Burl, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I am answering your question in the only way I think possible with my computer. I have tried again and again to answer threads already started and they just keep going further and further to the right and off the page. I can also never find the "post" button. Is is way way way out to the lower right somewhere, but I can't find it.

Here is my response to your brass 1859 question:

First, you can't tell a brass cent by dropping it on a hard surface.

You must take the coins into sunlight/daylight .. no artificial light.
    Gently scratch the edge of the coin with a diamond(best) or glass shard.
    If it's brass, the bare metal will be yellowish .. but even the bronze is a little yellowish
    if you try to wish too hard. The specific wieghts and actual percentages of the alloy mix for the planchets was not always the same. The samll percentages of tin or zinc in the
    copper alloy makes the determination of what constitues "brass" as defined by Haxby, Charlton, or others very difficult. It is my belief and that of other major variety collectors that the "brass" cent was made by accident and not a planned Mint product. I think of it more as an "error" than anything. I am 99.99% sure that you don't have a brass one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

Bill, i had the same problem as you with the scrolling to the right. There is a option under settings that let's you use the basic editor. That will fix your problem.

4. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Thank you Jerseycat for the assistance. After a great deal of effort (really just trial & error with hard looking) I finally found the link-to-link-to link box that I unchecked and then put a check in "basic editor". I had almost given up hope. Things seem fine now and I can even find the "post" buttons now. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted