Raw coins vs graded encapsulated

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rick B, Jul 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

OK, thanks. Very confusing. Wait, are these photos of the same coin in different holders?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Yep. Exact same coin. Different holder. Vastly different “values”. There are lots of people who would not even look at the first holder, but they would be all over the second. They are the problem in this hobby.

5. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

A lot of things like this reinforces my feelings about TPG's. Just call me "raw guy"!
    Although I'm not altogether against slabs. In fact, I'm considering buying some from Jeff Garrett/Ben Todd (https://www.sarasotanumismatics.com/). But I will remove the coins from the holders and keep the labels. Jeff would kick my butt for saying that! He is a strong advocate of slabs. "Buy only PCGS and NGC" he told me. I respect him highly but I don't agree with this simply because it is not my hobby style.

But I'm going to shop around first to see if I can get better prices. But will the better priced coins be as good? I'm too new at this to figure that out. So I may buy a few lower priced slabs as a learning tool. To have MS65's, etc, in my hands (gloved) for grading education.

6. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I assume you all know who Ken Bressett is. I found this quote interesting from him: "Collect coins on your own terms. Don’t get in a rut doing what everyone else seems to be doing. There are no set rules in what anyone should, or should not collect. Don’t get all hung up on condition; learn to grade. I personally find circulated coins more interesting because they were actually used as money and have stories to tell."
    https://news.coinupdate.com/lunch-w...8599afa4b339b5345d10c84d2c664#comment-1218727

Penny Luster likes this.
  7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

You sound like such a rube. Ask Jeff Garrett what he thinks of gloves. On second thought, don’t bother, you would probably just ignore his advice anyway.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  8. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Wow. Hey guys, is there a way to block certain posters?

9. Lehigh96

What’s the matter, truth hurt?

You have a numismatic expert in Jeff Garrett telling you to buy only NGC & PCGS graded coins, and you self admittedly, ignored the advice. Then you finished your post with the excitement of holding a raw MS65 in your (gloved) hands as if wearing gloves was a virtue.

As far as blocking me, go ahead, you aren’t worthy of the information you could learn from me, and I’m no longer interested in providing you with valuable information free of charge.

10. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

So you just blindly follow advice. Good for you. I have a different opinion than Jeff, so sue me. He has helped me tremendously but on one point I have a different opinion. I'm not a sheep. How about Ken Bressett? Or is he a rube also? Did you see the post above?

"Collect coins on your own terms. Don’t get in a rut doing what everyone else seems to be doing. There are no set rules in what anyone should, or should not collect. Don’t get all hung up on condition; learn to grade."
    I guess you don't like that advice.

Learn from you? With your attitude I have nothing to learn from you. And your coins on ebay are ridiculously over priced.

11. Lehigh96

How would you know if they are overpriced? You are a rube, and the fact that you don’t think you could learn from me proves it.

Regarding the following of advice, if an expert on the level of Jeff Garrett gave me advice and I had almost no numismatic knowledge (like you) I would certainly follow his advice. So congratulations, you have declared yourself “not a sheep” but if you continue buying raw coins with your limited knowledge, you are going to get sheared like one, repeatedly.

TypeCoin971793, wxcoin and baseball21 like this.
  12. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Why take Jeff's advice over Ken's? Both are top coin collector guys with contradictory advice.
    Anyway, I know what I'm doing. I have ZERO interest in collecting the way you do. You can't handle someone with a different opinion. Grow up.
    End of discussion. There is no point debating with such a narrow mind.

13. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

FYI, don't bother replying. I've blocked you so I wont see it anyway.

14. Lehigh96

Actually, I think Bresset’s advice is terrible for a beginner, and my guess is that he would advise against people with limited knowledge spending big money on raw coins.

You can collect anyway you want, and I can handle it just fine, but let’s be clear about one thing. You don’t know what you are doing! But don’t worry, if you are determined to pay for an education that was offered to you for free, have at it.

Furthermore, this is an online forum, not a support group, holding and expressing a dissenting opinion to that of another member is kinda the whole point. Debate is almost never pointless. The best part is that you still think I’m trying to change your mind.

15. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Again, you are wrong. Ken's quote in full: "
    Q: What is the best advice that you could pass on to young collectors?
    A: Collect coins on your own terms. Don’t get in a rut doing what everyone else seems to be doing. There are no set rules in what anyone should, or should not collect. Don’t get all hung up on condition; learn to grade. I personally find circulated coins more interesting because they were actually used as money and have stories to tell."

"holding and expressing a dissenting opinion to that of another member is kinda the whole point. "
    Not the way you do it with your insults and tirade. That is the sign of immaturity.
    I have no interest in debating with abusive people.
    And let's be clear: I do know what I'm doing. I collect my way, not your freakin' way. Raw, learning to grade for myself. That's it! If all there was in the world were slabbed coins and impossible to break out, guess what? I wouldn't collect coins. I'm not against it, it's fine for many people, just not me.

BSquared likes this.
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Most likely considering his quote is really talking more about what to collect such as modern vs classic, US vs world, not to ignore the TPGs to be "on your own terms" rather to get things you enjoy.

17. Lehigh96

What exactly is my “freakin way” of collecting?

And when I say that you don’t know what you are doing, I’m not talking about your plan or style of collecting, I’m talking about your numismatic knowledge level that you need to avoid all of the pitfalls associated with collecting raw coins.

Regarding how to debate people on a forum, I usually afford people the same level of courtesy that they give me. Trust me, your posting style is just as dogmatic and off putting as mine, but I have some self awareness about it.

18. Lehigh96

Agreed, but it is worded so poorly that a collector can glean that it means what @Rick B thinks it means, then it becomes terrible advice IMO. When I tried to explain the nuance of that quote to @Rick B he posted the quote again and told me I was wrong, lol.

RonSanderson likes this.
  19. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

People that say they have self awareness usually don't.
    "Those who know, don't say. Those who say, don't know".

Show me where I insulted anyone like you did calling me a rube and everything else in this thread.

"There are no set rules in what anyone should, or should not collect"
    This is clear to me. NO SET RULES. Do what you want. Don't feel constrained by ANYONE.

20. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I wasn't going to comment any more on this thread but after going back and reading the op's original post and some of the later posts I wanted to add a few more cents worth. The op likes raw coins; I get it. But what I don't like is how he disses those who buy slabbed coins and criticises the TPGs themselves. I have bought my share of raw and slabbed coins, both for different reasons. Even when I buy raw coins, my purpose isn't to get intimate with them. I can feel pretty confident buying raw modern coins for albums but when buying classic coinage I tend to go the slabbed route since I'm mostly interested in high grade coins. If my ony reason to collect coins was to physically handle them then I could care less about condition. There are many affordable low grade affordable classic US coins available.

But my reasons for collecting coins are my own and nobody should mock my reasons because they don't fit theirs. How and what we collect are personal. We don't need someone else to tell us how to entertain ourselves.

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lol yea, I'm not a big fan of the quote either as it does need some more explanation. Some people just need to learn the hard way

Draft saved Draft deleted