Raw : 1934 Buffalo nickel doubled die or not ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Sep 21, 2022.

?

Is this 1934 Buffalo specimen is a doubled die

1. Yes it's a doubled die.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No it isnt a doubled die.

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. I'm sorry I'm still trying to figure out if my belly button is an in or out example.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Doubled die or not? Post you vote in the poll list your reasons here....why,or why not.... s-l300-3.png s-l300-4.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

hard to say for sure from these pictures. However looking at "five" on the reverse there appears to be doubleing but the pic blown up is too blurry to tell if it's a dd or just machine doubleing :D but as I think I see a knotch on the bottom of the I, so I will say it is a ddr

4. Paddy54

The picture will enlarge to see everything on the coin....that's needed to make a decision. Don't forget the poll.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Pic NOT getting bigger... had to download it and blow it up that way...

And HEY!!! no popping weasels with javlins

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

NO " true doubling " here boys! I just don't see it and I have 20/20 vision with glasses and despite my Diabetes. ;)

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

does not enlarge

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I can't enlarge the images without all the detail being lost.

9. Paddy54

On my pad the image will enlarge by spreading my fingers over it with little distortion. . Let me try to post an larger image. So it can be examined on your device. If your using a phone well good luck with that.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  10. Paddy54

s-l300-3.png s-l300-4.png

This one is 1200 x 1200
    I hope this size works.... my intent on this post as well the other one that is now up is to educate some as well myself to think outside the box... not saying on its a doubled die or no it isnt. As sometime one cannot see the forest from the trees or are complete lost in said forest.
    It intent isnt to make anyone look dumb, but again a good exercise in understanding what everyone perceives from their view.
    I apologise if the image wont enlarge to a readable size.but at the end explain what the image truly is.
    In life we all see things differently both post if for nothing else is to try and make everyone think then act.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm on a PC. The images are showing at 300X300 as png files and are maxed out. Can you upload them as jpg files?

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Same here the photos are inconclusive.

13. Paddy54

Well Ill give it a little more time and see if anyone else can enlarge to see. With everyone working off different devices its hard to know who's device will work and whos wont.
    I can make it as big as my screen....to see the entire coin. The images is not mine thus my ability to doctor them further isnt possible.

14. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Hold 5X up to laptop or desktop screen to enlarge and then enlarge with fingers.

I am going with yes. Very subtle unless in hand or max expansion on screen.
    It does need some verdigris taken care of in the one letter, though.

15. Paddy54

Again my apologies for the image issues. The reason for this post is to educate and make others aware that one truly needs to know what they are looking at before one posts or speakes. A member posts a image that they believe to be a doubled die. Now most of us know and understand that not every doubled die is as prevalent as the 1955/1955 Lincoln cent.
    Some of us variety collectors only seek well known others care to split hairs as hunting all and any of them.
    To prove a point as well educate us all that we should research before we speak or post.
    So I actually hunted a coin that would be on the edge that the consensus would fall somewhere in the 50/50 split.
    That some say yes it is...and others say no.
    So the answer is yes it is an ddr that can be proven at Varietvista or Wexler web sites.
    It fit my need perfectly as again its not a variety that jumps out in your face...like many varieties that one truly needs to research before they speak .
    The two items that makes this specimen a ddr are under the chin of the buffalo as well the rear legs. The pup pick up point or marker. Is a die crack from the buffalo head though the U in united. All is present on this coin. Unfortunate most will need to accept my word on that... but I will post both sites so you can see what it looks like.
    http://varietyvista.com/03 Buffalo Nickels/DDR 1934.htm

https://doubleddie.com/1124350.html 4bb649352713b32bffff803effffe417.jpg 4bb649352713b32bffff803fffffe417.jpg 20220922_104503.jpg 20220922_104530.jpg

16. robec

robec Junior Member

If the photo could have been enlarged maybe I would have said yes. On my iPad the only way to enlarge it was to spread the photo with my fingers, but the photo then became useless. Here is the area under the chin that I can see by enlarging the photo.

B315686A-58C2-4CDA-B341-65532912FD49.jpeg

You probably didn’t click “Full Image” when you uploaded the photo. The default is “Thumbnail”. Those won’t expand, Full Image will.

Draft saved Draft deleted