Rattler holder and vam designation

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Derrick Combs, May 24, 2020.

1. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

Did they put a vam designation on the old rattler holders? Indicating the specific vam of say, a peace dollar? I have seen some ngc that say what specific vam. But wondering if these early holders did. I saw one that appeared to be the correct vam, a ddo tiara but the holder did not designate it as such. The coin appears to have the doubled tiara.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Neither PCGS nor NGC attribute all VAM's. You can go to their websites to learn which ones they do attribute. ~ Chris

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And I don't believe they listed them in their early years. When they started listing them I don't know. I'f I were to dig into my old pop report books I might be able to find out but those books are scattered.

I had three close at hand, 2004 ANACS and NGC, and 2007 PCGS. ANACS and NGC both had VAM listings. PCGS had some popular varieties listed, but nothing listed by VAM number.

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

PCGS was the last to start adding VAM numbers to slabs, ANACS was the first. I can't remember when PCGS started, but it was some time after the Top 100 Morgan VAM book came out in 1996.

Draft saved Draft deleted