Rarest Coin Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ms333, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Found this 1988P with 1989 reverse while roll searching. It's supposed to be fairly rare, but I think that they are more common than people think. :rolleyes: Thing has some janky lookin spots on it to :mad:.

88.jpg

88Close.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Then how else are we expected to show the rarity?

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As a collector of ancient coins, I do not know the mintage numbers of a single coin in my collection. What matters is how many still exist and how many people want one.

What is the earliest coin for which we have a certain mintage number?

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

so many of them

[​IMG]
    3000 mintage

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG]
    1000 mimtage

7. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

There is also a conditional rarity, such as the only MS 69 Wheat cent out there. Priceless.

8. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

There is also survival rarity

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The O-120 variety has a R-4- rarity rating, meaning less than 200 are believed to exist. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Extant populations are much more important than mintage numbers. If you want a good example, you need look no further than my favorite series. Can you guess which post war Jefferson Nickel date/mm leads the way with MS67 graded examples?

11. pumpkinpie

OK, well my 1839-O dime has an estimated 600 existing in all grades.

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Very imperfectly. Auction sales is a start.

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I brought and melted down 598 of them. Now we both have the only 2 in existence. We are RICH

14. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

If you mean the most graded MS67 examples, I would love to say the 50-D Because people hoarded them much like the 2009 nickels.

15. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I have a 1988 D RDV006 US cent that's one of the 3 ANACS pop for the AU58+. Since ANACS is the only TPG currently certifying this variety AND it's reported as SCARCE or very scarce by Wexler and the Lincoln Cent Resource, I believe it rarer than anything else I own. Although I like most of you guys have some keys that are pretty low mintage coins.

16. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I have a couple of scarce modern coins:
    1999W $5 AGE unfinished dies
    Jackie Robinson $5 gold BU and proof (oh how I wish I bought more of these!)
    1982 No P Roosie
    Plus several First Spouse gold (does ANYBODY collect these things?)

17. pumpkinpie

1965? (rarity)

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Is that all the rare coins you guys have to post?:devil:

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

1867 with rays NGC PR-62 shield nickle. About 60 known, and one of my favorites.

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The 1950-D has the lowest mintage of the entire Jefferson series and the highest post war extant population in the mint state grades. It is down right common in mint state and an MS67 example can be obtained for less than $150.

21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A feudal coin from Dombes (the region of France where I live) : a gold pistole minted in 1579, being the first known (and published by me) example of this year (1575 is described but not seen, 1578 is "common" (20 to 30 known specimens) and 1582 is described as unique so far).

[​IMG]
    Louis II de Montpensier (1560-1582), Pistole - 1579
    Atelier de Trevoux
    + LVDO . P . DOMBARVM . D . MONTISP, Ecu de Bourbon couronné
    + DNS . ADIVTOR . ET . REDEM . MEVS . 1579, Croix feuillue
    6.54 gr
    Ref : Date inédite : Divo Dombes -, PA -, Mantellier -, Boudeau -, Sirand -, Friedberg -

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted