Rarest Coin Thread

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ms333, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ms333

ms333 Member

Post the rarest coin you own (i.e. mintage, price, etc.). My rarest is either a 1920 d buffalo nickel, or a 1923 s buffalo nickel. You could add pictures if you want. Maybe one of you guys have a 1804 Dollar Second Reverse, Restrike With Plain Edge? :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

Mine will be my avatar, mintage of 15,000. St Gallen Switzerland shooting Thaler 1874

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Cent with clash from $20 gold piece die.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

The 1857 FE clashes are some of my favorite coins out there. How the dies were clashed with different denominations puzzles me. Very nice.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We will never know for sure how it happened.

7. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I don't really know what you mean by rare, but.

This coin has never been identified, some say it was a button. It is not a button, because the holes have such crudeness to them. There is also a bunch of writing on the back, a button would not have such detail, because no one looks at the back of a button.

I found it in a cornfield near my house, while metal detecting. The area dates back to the 1830s. The coin itself I'm guessing is from the 1860s or before. I've showed this to many coin collectors, and they have no idea what it is.

I also have a possibly rare token. It says "newcomb bros, good for 5 cent loaf of bread" I have never been able to find an example of it in any token books, or on the web.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Oh man, some of you really crack me up. I'll leave it at that.:dead-horse:

Moving on...

This is my rarest U.S. coin.
    At 96,500 minted, it is the lowest minted for the 1 cent Draped Bust by a long shot.
    This is the s-266 die state b, the scarcest of the die states. Die state is recognizable by the large cud on the obverse.

[​IMG]

It almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about! Thanks to the Early Copper collectors who helped me out with the information. Condor, Penny Guy, Mark_H, maybe the other Mark, and the other EAC lovers.

9. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

The rarest I have are:

1877 IHC (EF40, NGC)
    1909 S IHC (MS65RD PCGS)
    1909S VDB Mint Error Clipped Planchet (MS60BN, PCGS)
    1912s Nickel VG-F
    1916d Merc Dime FR-AG
    1914 half dollar G-VG

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The rarest I have is a Jane Pierce First Spouse uncirculated gold, mintage right at 3,333 -- but nobody cares about the series, and so it's not worth much more than melt.

I'll happily swap it straight-up for any graded 1916 SLQ -- my coin is almost 20 times as rare by mintage, has over 150 times the bullion value, and is probably at least MS69. Heck, I'll even spring for the slabbing costs for both the quarter and the FS. :)

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, I can't say this is necessarily rare, but since the OP did mention price as one of the options, it's a 2001-D Kennedy NGC MS68, Top Pop 5/0, business strike. It just sold on eBay for $213.50. What makes this "rare" you ask? Well, it came from a mint bag and the cost was 68c; the grading was a freebie on my renewal gift certificate, so my gross profit was 31,200%.

Chris

12. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Mine is an error. A couple years ago I picked up two of the '89 Congressional commems from the 'bay. I only wanted one for the collection but these two were sitting there with two minutes to go at under melt so I put in a bid at just a tad over and won them. I was "mildly" surprised when they showed up and one of them was the 180 degree rotated reverse.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Oops! I should have mentioned that my Kennedy missing the reverse clad layer came form this same bag. Its cost was also 68c, but I had to pay the fee for the Error Service.

Chris

Attached Files:

14. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Edkins PA-1397-A100. R-10 (only 1-4 known!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

1905 Barber half- Mintage: 662,000

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

You can not tell rarity from mintage numbers.

17. areich

areich America*s Darling

I have a better question. What makes this thread rare?

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Magic and the thread is back on track.;)

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

This pattern is Judd J-647, the copper nickel variety of the ten cent pattern - this pattern used the large cent hub for the obverse and approximately 24 examples were minted.

[​IMG]

It is not my priciest USA coin, but is the lowest mintage example I currently own.

20. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Great Scottish (Money)! That is one beautiful coin!

My rarest? Gotta be my 1915 Barber Half in PCGS VG-8 plastic.
    [​IMG]

21. camlov2

camlov2 Member

My favorite coin is a braided hair cent so this is an easy win, beautiful.

Draft saved Draft deleted