Rarest coin (ebay listing)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ksparrow, Feb 8, 2016.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Santinidollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

What a beautiful type 2 reverse! Copper trial strike to boot! Can't wait to add this one to my pcgs registry set!

4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

The lady looks like she's been a pugilist!
    Steve

5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

you dont know about the mint in jakarta selatan, jakarta, Indonesia! These are not the droids your looking for!

JPeace$ likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Wonder what it's made of. Lead?

7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Excerpt from listing:
    I swear that's actually in the description.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Complete total fake. At least it looks like an older fake

9. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Notice the bids were already in double digits?
    Steve

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Wow, it must be a bit umm nippy out there in Jakarta lol

11. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Explain what we are looking for here to call it a fake. I know some of you will say, "come on now" but help a newbie out. For one, the dark coloring did they rub it through dirt ? Dipped ?When they put it on the scale weight off ? At least a start.

12. Larry Salemme

Larry Salemme Active Member

MAYBE A HUSBAND WANTED HIS WIFE ON A COIN YEARS AGO, AND SHE POSED FOR WHOEVER AND THEY MADE THE COIN, PROBABLY WORTH NO MONEY, BUT MAKES A COOL COLECTION FOR SOMEONE, NOBODY ELSE HAS IT!

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

$59 bid is $58 too high, including postage

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I don't know trade dollars well but as far as the design goes those denticles are a dead giveaway with no need to look further for me

bear32211 likes this.
  15. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Just look at Liberty's face :)

16. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

It's probably easier to ask "what would make you think it is genuine?" Seriously, everything is wrong, from the dentils to the details, mushy and schematic, Liberty naked from the waist up and apparently feeling chilly; the helpful edge photo showing awful reeding; and it looks like it's made of copper! If it is a contemporary counterfeit, it might have some value, though. It's also seriously underweight.

17. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

this is why I ask, many of you have various opinions of many different coins, I want to hear the multiple mistakes made by these counterfeiters so I can better understand what to look for. Also because of this, given to my mom years ago when she traveled over to Asia. Given to her as change...she had no idea.

Attached Files:

18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

One word.......UNREAL!

19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Looks like it got pulled.

I know good fake Trade Dollars are plentiful in the market AND I'm not an expert on this series, but when I looked at this link earlier today, I had to laugh. Even I could quickly see it was a fake.

@bear32211, the design of MS. Liberty was not even close to the real thing. Proportions way off as well as detail. Not to mention the rest of the detail.

Draft saved Draft deleted