Rare Webbing/Planchet Strip

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Nov 30, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Don't see many of these too often, and definitely not this large of a section.

It is copper cent webbing. It is not copper-plated zinc because the plating for those is done after they are punched out. I know PCGS actually will slab webbing sections like this, just not sure if it is too big.

A cool pick up nonetheless!

Screenshot_2018-11-30-08-50-47~2.png Screenshot_2018-11-30-08-51-03~3.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Joe, I've seen some pcs. in PCGS holders,
    and yet they've 'rejected' a few of mine
    that I submitted.

Not consistent, but I don't know why.

When I get them to confirm that they'll slab
    PPS's (Punched Planchet Strips), I'll have to
    submit my 4 pcs. of eight (8) Foot 1943
    Denver Mint Steel Cent Strips (just kidding,
    they don't have an 8 foot holder, I assume!)

tommyc03, paddyman98 and JCro57 like this.
  4. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they re melt all of the webbing down and make more planchet strips?
    Not cost effective?

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The webbing was sold as scrap. (The mint no longer has the foundry that would be needed for melting it down and recasting) Usually the firms that produce the strip repurchase the scrap but sometimes some of it gets purchased by others. It used to be they just folded up the webbing, now it gets chopped into bits for closer packing.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Did you pick them up locally to you, Joe? There used to be a place just outside of Buffalo (iirc) that produced these, although I forget the specifics.

8. JCro57

No, this was a guy from Rhode Island that I was referred to. And I'm not familiar with any company from Buffalo that made coin metal, but i wouldn't doubt it at all.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

My guess is Rice could probably give you the details as well, but Lou (Lincoln) used to have pieces (like yours) that came from them and would be able to tell you the whole story. It's been a long time so the details have faded. Tonawanda comes to mind, though.

JCro57 likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Aside question...would it be worth it to have pieces slabbed, by say, ANACS on a special? Wondering because I have about 80 quarter pieces that I would like to sell. All of mine have enough to show a quarter could be placed in each.

11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I could be mistaken, but didn't I read on a CT forum/post some time ago, that it is illegal (against the law, not a sick bird :rolleyes:) to possess these?

12. Fred Weinberg

No, they are not illegal at all.

I've been buying, selling, and collecting
    Planchet strips for over 50 years.

And, I've shown them, both in my office
    and at ANA Conventions, to Mint Police,
    Mint employees, Treasury Officials, etc etc.

They are fine to own......

JCro57, PlanoSteve and tommyc03 like this.
  13. JCro57

Has anyone ever seen a planchet strip for gold or 90% silver coins?

Michael K and CoinCorgi like this.
  14. Fred Weinberg

I've seen gold strips at the China Mint back in 1983, and
    at the West Point Mint in 2006 for 1 oz Gold Eagles.

I don't believe there are any genuine U.S. Mint silver planchet
    strips for any denomination.

JCro57 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would imagine the value of the silver would necessitate the melting and reclamation of the metal. The Mint is probably very strict on this.

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The silver and gold strips get recycled and melted, as far as I know.

As for your pickup, very cool! I've always been fascinated by these.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    JCro57 likes this.
  17. JCro57

That is so weird that you help authenticate errors for them (PCGS), and then you of all people get your submissions rejected and without a reason.

18. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Not yet they don't...From my limited experience, they will slab anything...

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Back when the mint made silver and gold for circulation, they had their own foundry for melting and recycling the webbing themselves. Once they started getting strip from outside sources it was just easier to sell the scrap back to them. Today the gold and silver planchets are produced by outside firms and they recycle the gold and silver strip because they have to return to the mint the same weight of precious metal planchets that the mint provided to them in bullion.

20. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

An older thread, but I recently acquired a Canadian piece of scissel strip for bronze 1c coins, it came from a collector who sourced it from the mint in the 1960s, and I thought I would share it in this thread.

1c_scissel.jpg

I also have a photograph of Canadian silver dollar scissel, which is archived at the Bank of Canada Currency Museum. They let me take a photo of it when I was doing some research there, prior to the pandemic. It used to be in a display, which is why the mounting pegs were soldered on.

silver_dollar_scissel.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted