Rare VICT GAL AVG Antoninianus of Gallienus - Strange Bust Type?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Harry G, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Hi all! I recently bought this antoninianus of Gallienus, with a rare VICT GAL AVG reverse.

gallienus VICT GAL AVG.png
    (Apologies the picture isn't very good; I've had to use the seller's pics, and this was in a group lot)

The coin does have some encrustations on it, although I believe I can see that Gallienus' hair extends down to almost the base of the bust.

After some digging, I found this lot that was sold by CNG a while ago for a whopping $525 (auction 296, lot 348). It also has the hair similar to my coin.

gallienus VICT GAL AVG with hair CNG.jpg

This differs from other types, which look a bit like these
    gallienus VICT GAL AVG regular 1.jpg
    (radiate head r. - https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/se..._avg__mir_368a__very_rare/259380/Default.aspx, €350EUR)

gallienus VICT GAL AVG regular 2.jpg
    (radiate, draped bust r. - ROMA e-sale 69, lot 1093, £300USD)

Might the bust on my coin and the CNG coin be a new variant? I know some very rare antoniniani of Gallienus exist with Gallienus wearing a lion skin. Could my coin be one of them? (Here's a VIRTVS FALERI type with the lion skin bust for reference)

galliesus lion skin.png

Also, why did the coin sold by CNG sell for such a high price, when it is clearly in worse condition than the VCoins coin and the ROMA coin?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool coin and a nice find. Haven't seen this reverse type before.

Harry G likes this.
  4. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

I have a somewhat better photo of my coin if that'll help

IMG_20210306_134529.jpg
    IMG_20210306_134557.jpg

Many thanks!

5. Roma

Roma Active Member

It is hard to give an opinion from your pictures. I’m sure that with the coin in hand and a good magnifier or a 10x stereo microscope you can check it better.
    However your reverse differ from the other because there is the officina mintmark in exergue.
    The fully silvered Roma numismatics specimens shows a drapery on the left shoulder.

Harry G likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted