Rare Three Pence - 1841 Non Maundy

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jun 25, 2019.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

This is quite rare in this state of preservation and is most likely not Maundy: fullsizeoutput_14dc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_14dd.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    Imho, great details! A beauty!
    Thank you for sharing!

4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Thanks, I got it raw of course a couple of years ago from a British auction house along with some other scarcer dates. Grades MS65.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It looks like the Maundy type. Why do you think it isn't a Maundy issue?

6. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, the denticles on the reverse are - see those on reverse which is better struck at about 4 o'clock, and almost all the denticles on obverse between 1 o'clock and nearly 6 o'clock (these are irregular, usually better on Maundy) Edges not squared off, esp. on obverse. Fine die rust on obverse figure, soft details on bust at brow, nose, ear and hair.
    This coin in hand is not generally as proof like as Maundy either, but not all Maundy is proof like so that confuses it just a bit. Overall it is a bit hard to describe as it is mainly a look, almost a feel. Steve Hill and I used to have many conversations on this....

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pretty sure it's a Maundy coin Jags. I looked for other examples, and found one -

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-brit...Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115#

The weakness in the obv details is present there as well. But more than anything else, the slight doubling on the right side of the 8 in the date is also present on the other Maundy example. That pretty much cinches it for me but I suppose anything is possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted