Rare star note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by MathewH, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

When you do an eBay search on something. on the left side there is a list of options, look down that list and you will see "sold items" click on that and it will show you the list of sold auctions for that item.

MathewH likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MathewH

MathewH New Member

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. I have a feeling I'm going to ask for a lot of advice. I'm certainly inexperienced with the subject and I'm eager to learn more.

tommyc03 and DarkRage666 like this.
  4. MathewH

MathewH New Member

I didn't know that. Thanks! This will be my go to and I'll share whatever I find in the future.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice find but too bad about the folds.

MathewH likes this.
  6. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"I never took ebay listings seriously at all."
    You need to check the Sold listings for accurate prices.

MathewH likes this.
  7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Ironing is effective at smoothing out creases or wrinkles but it is best to avoid the practice. I toyed with ironing notes for a time around 10 years ago. Here is one such example:

1985 J-A Front.png
    1985 J-A Back.png

Burn marks can be seen on the front and back from where the iron either became too hot or was placed on the note for too long. Ironing will also flatten the embossing on more crisp notes.

If you wish to flatten creases or wrinkles in notes, place them inside of a heavy book like an encyclopedia or some such and let it sit for a few weeks. This is the only method I use these days to to improve notes that have creases or wrinkles.

However, purists will advise against doing this such as to preserve said embossing but in my view it doesn't typically matter a whole lot when you're dealing with notes that have been found in circulation.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    MathewH likes this.
  8. MathewH

MathewH New Member

Ouch! Yeah I wouldn't want to do any of that! I considered putting it in a book as well. I like to learn people advice against it for the embossing, but I'm also happy to hear there is a method you found that works. I may try it. It's really disappointing I found it in the condition it's in. I personally would prefer it to be in a more flattened state. Thank you for the information!

NOS likes this.
  9. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Exactly what do you think are errors? The small border at the bottom, and perhaps serial numbers that do not perfectly line up (both of which are very common) will not add value to this bill. The low production is your selling point.

MathewH likes this.
  10. MathewH

MathewH New Member

Thanks for the information.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Its best to remember, that condition be considered first, even if a bill is on the rarer
    side it becomes less desirable thus worth less.

MathewH likes this.
  12. MathewH

MathewH New Member

So that goes for coins as well? I have a lot of coins with errors. I'm assuming its mostly machine doubling but I'm struggling to tell if its double die... anyway most are in completley trashed conditions (you can only see how bad it is under a microscope) and some would probably get a decently high ms for a circulated coin. I should just start buying my collection lol

Draft saved Draft deleted