Rare or not? Info please.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Blake Pepper, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Blake Pepper

Blake Pepper New Member

I'm new to coin collecting so I am reaching out to the community. Can some one please tell me what this is called. And if it's worth anything. 1979 d Lincoln cent. these are the best pictures I could take as of now. They do no justice. CM170427-055402001.jpg CM170427-072444001.jpg CM170427-072624002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is a vice job. PMD

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Blake Pepper

Blake Pepper New Member

? Could you help me out with the terms you've used? I'm pretty new.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The coin in question was put between to other cents. Then torqued with a vise. Pmd is Post Mint Damage.

6. Blake Pepper

Blake Pepper New Member

Wow! Bummer though. May I ask how can you tell. That way I know next time.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

1. The lettering is mirror-imaged. This could only happen if another "positive," another coin, was used to impress it. A second strike by a die would read "forward" as well.

2. The feature appears on the highest points of the coin, and the things impressed are also the highest points of a coin. That makes them the deepest points on a die, which couldn't be touched by random contact. Only two coins touching could have done this.

3. There are known errors in which a struck coin stays in the chamber and is forced onto the next planchet. However, this all happens under the 100+ tons of pressure exerted by the press, and in a "real" case the feature transfer would be far stronger as a result. In most cases the second strike all but obliterates the first.

8. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Great info Dave! You always have easy to understand info.........I seem to learn something from you weekly!
    Welcome Blake!

SchwaVB57, Coinman1974 and Stevearino like this.
  9. Blake Pepper

Blake Pepper New Member

Thanks guys!!!! Glad I could get the info. Like I said I'm new. And the only way I know how to learn is ask.

Draft saved Draft deleted