Rare initial coinage of Ardashir I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Another of my wins from Pars Coins Auction 7:
    Ardashir Papak obol.jpg
    Sasanian Kingdom. AR obol (0.64 g, 12 mm). Ardashir I (while still Ardashir V of Persis) (c.205/6-223/4 AD). Obverse: Facing bust of Ardashir wearing Parthian-style tiara, hair to sides, inscription around "Lord Ardashir the King". Reverse: Bust of Papag left wearing Parthian-style tiara, inscription around "Papag the King". Sunrise 694. This coin: Pars Coins Auction 7 (July 14, 2020), lot 199.

Ardashir I was the founder of the Sasanian or Neo-Persian dynasty. His ancestry is rather obscure, and the ancient sources vary. He was (depending on the source) either the son or the grandson of a Persian nobleman named Sasan, for whom the dynasty would eventually be named, and the grandson or son of Papag. At the time, Persis was merely one of the parts of the Parthian kingdom, where a local ruler was allowed some autonomy as long as he remained loyal to the central Parthian government and continued to pay taxes and levy troops. Ardashir apparently overthrew the Parthian-supported local ruler and reigned in Persis for a period as Ardashir V. After a few years, however, he began taking over neighboring territory and directly challenging Parthian authority. The Parthian kingdom at this time was weakened by repeated wars with Rome and split between two brothers, Artabanus V in the East and Vologases VI in the West. Ardashir was able to defeat the remaining Parthians and in either 224, 226, or 227 AD had himself crowned as Ardashir I. Ardashir was a vigorous and effective ruler, and much like Augustus in Rome he set a solid foundation for the next few centuries of imperial rule. He forced increased centralization of government, promoted the Zoroastrian religion as the official state faith, and fought to enlarge the empire's borders. He also established the distinctive designs and fabric of Sasanian coins, introducing the broad, thin silver coins that would remain standard throughout the dynasty and beyond. He died in about 240 AD, passing on the crown to his son Shapur I.

This coin is part of his earliest coinage, when he had not yet fully defeated the Parthians. He is still using Parthian imagery (the royal tiara) which he would maintain on some of his early coins after 224 before switching to a more distinctly Sasanian style. Many of the late rulers of Persis honored their fathers on the reverses of their coins, and Ardashir is following that tradition as well (unless Papag was his grandfather rather than father, but it's still a similar principle). This coin thus captures an important transitional moment, between Parthian and Persian/Sasanian imagery. I like the design, and it is executed well despite the small size of the coin. The preservation is quite nice, especially on the obverse (facing portraits usually wear flat pretty quickly, but on this coin you can still see the details of his face). I have been seeking this type for a while now, and was fortunate to win this. The same type was used on larger coins (hemidrachms and drachms), so I may try to "upgrade" at some point, but for now I am quite happy with this example. Please post your coins of Ardashir I, or whatever else you have that's related.

Valentinian, DBDc80, Sulla80 and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Great type, I only have an obol only, but not as nice as this. If I had't been so distracted with my Vahran II lead group, and the Ardashir of Merv piece, I might have competed with you. Good thing I didn't so you could get it.

I thought the article I wrote about concerning the King of Turan was very interesting on how it could concern Ardashir. Evidently Sasan is a title in the SE Iranian area, with the coin I wrote about having bragged about different "sasans" he was related to. The article postulates Sasan could basically be a title from that area, and the Ardashir family was from there. That is why Ardashir immediately changed coin styles for larger modules after he was king of more than just Persis. Papak was of course historically justified though.

Interesting idea at least.

4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Just, Wow. From here, that's crazy early for Sasanian.

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Pretty sure I was the underbidder on that coin. Congrats!! And keep me in mind if you do eventually upgrade. :D

My only Ardashir is this one, struck from crappy dies:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 11.48.30 AM.jpg

6. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

There are some nice varhran II coming up which I am planning to get. I am sure you also target them so let's see who got the deeper pocket lol

7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Parthicus......That's a really nice coin!....I enjoyed the write up too, and find this transitional period very interesting...
    My sas collection starts from a much later date so thanks for posting...Love the double pom-pom hairstyle on the ob....Cool coin!

8. medoraman

4 of them right? No sense comparing pockets, as we would both simply lose out of other coins. I lose Vahran II coins pretty often. I don't try to buy every coin, I try to buy those I like at the market price.

ernstk likes this.
  9. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Yea 4 of them. I am targeting one of them and I hope we don't end up in bidding wars over it lol
    I thought you have monopoly over varhran II coins

10. medoraman

No, in fact offered to another member we should not try to step on each other's toes. I like them, but to be honest need to concentrate on the first two types of his now I own quite a few type 3's. His dad is also a favorite of mine, but don't own as many of his....yet.

11. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Actually one of these 4 is mine and I sent to consignment hoping it fetches good but I might try to bid on it myself to bring it at least to the price I bought it. ( I know some members will attack me with slurs for doing so but FYI it is 100% legal under the auction house I consigned to , for owners to bid on their own items)

Draft saved Draft deleted