Rare Hungarian Double Talers

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

As I am highly vested in the Holy Roman Empire series, I have learned that the multiple Talers from the Hungarian side (Kremnitz Mint) of the empire, are seldom found. I bought a Rudolph II 2 Taler piece a while back and recently came across a Leopold I (The Hogmouth) double taler, in repaired yet genuine condition. I gave this purchase much thought given the condition yet concluded that given the significant scarcity relative to price, I should pursue.

For both of these, there were no auction comparables whatsoever and for the Rudolph the auction stated it as the only piece held in private hands (mine I guess). I wonder how many were made in total. Both pieces are struck in a similar diameter to that of a single Taler only double the thickness.

Rudolph II 2T (with original auction listing)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leopold I 2T (With KM listing)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Those are very nice Double Talers ! The Holy Roman Empire had very skilled master engravers/ mintmasters. Their coins definately were in a class of their own. The only others that come close are the Transylvanian/ Swiss Cantons coins.
    I find that the AR 10/9/8/7/6/5/4 Talers are really tough to get in FDC quality.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

These appear quite large. I'm guessing they're a bit larger than a silver dollar?

Always cool to pick up some really rare pieces, and that first one is quite attractive. Congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted