RARE FIND? 1800 BUST LARGE 1 CENT COIN

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Fleshgrl02, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Hey everyone,
    In your opinions what do you think the value of this coin is?
    It is an 1800 Bust Large 1 cent.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

And where did you come across this?
    99.9% chance that's a fake.

Fleshgrl02, mikenoodle and tommyc03 like this.
  4. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Agreed, it doesn't look right.

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  5. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

I came across it in a box of coins that my grandfather left me. So you believe it's counterfeit?

6. furryfrog02

Yup

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I was following this. My jaw hit the floor when I saw these photos. I would agree that pristine early copper that is not in plastic seems unbelievable. Heck, an early copper in this state is unbelievable if not incomprehensible. The obvious resolution then is a forgery. Now I am not an expert on early coppers, but as far as forgeries go, this is some pretty darn good work..... But let me ask one question. Did anyone notice the verdigris that is occurring at the very edge of the piece. I tried to blow it up below. Can a counterfeiter impart verdigris to a piece?

C5134686-F4A7-437D-825B-E89C3B7F1D87.png

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  8. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Just in case, never hold a potentially valuable coin like that.

Hold it by the edges.

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Counterfeit is such a harsh term...many copies of these coins were made for gift shops. It doesn't look cast, I think we have some early copper people here, let's see what they say.

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  10. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I agree that it has an "off" look overall. The reverse in particular looks strange. But it could be the photos.

If you have a scale, try to weigh it. It should weigh very close to 10.89 grams. It should also have a plain edge.

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

So, here's the conundrum: if real, we're looking at a strong 4 figure, if not 5 figure coin. Furthermore, it's in immaculate condition to be raw.

It's very difficult for me to assess grade or genuineness without the coin "in hand".
    That said, it does not look genuine to me, based on the pics provided.

My question would be, do you think your father would have had such a valuable coin in his collection if it were real. (It would have been pricey when he acquired it also, assuming he paid for it many years ago.)

You really probably need to send this in to be graded & authenticated - which you would have to do anyway if you want to get the most value from it if you sell it.

Now, perhaps someone else will be able to ascertain the qualities by the pics, in which case disregard what I posted.

Good luck with it...hope it's real!

Fleshgrl02 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. furryfrog02

Just looking at the hair vs here it doesn't match anything. Because it is a modern replica. Perhaps counterfeit was too strong a word. I still stand by my original statement that it is not authentic.

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

14. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Compare the lettering on these. Bottom one is genuine pulled from coin facts.

F7D90F8F-58D2-40A7-8D7B-D6F05088E263.jpeg 1D738DB0-9C54-4975-AD6D-9A345CF2A495.jpeg

Fleshgrl02, Maxfli and PlanoSteve like this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks phony to me. It's not one of the varieties, and the date placement is shifted left. The hair looks funny, too.

Tell you what you do, get it authenticated. That's the only way you get its value for it. If unauthenticated, it's value is fool's money. If authenticated, it's easily in the high thousands. There were 2,822,175 of these minted, which includes the two varieties, which are worth more.

Good luck, and I hope for you I'm wrong. Again, send it off for authentication. That's the only way we'll know.

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  16. Patriot woman

Patriot woman New Member

Hi I am new to this forum and new to coin collection. A 8th that bro g said. I have a 1975 penny with the d and st missing from the United States in the back of this coin. Is this rare? Could it be worth something?

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

FWIW, I'm nearly certain it's not a Gallery Mint piece. All their pieces were stamped "COPY" on one of the sides. Also, I don't think they made an 1800 Cent (but could be wrong)

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  18. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

I'm for sure not an expert on this and when I saw the op coin I was hopeful. But after doing a side by side with the obverse of a genuine example, there's just no way. Profile is all wrong. Dang

Fleshgrl02 likes this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey welcome to CT. Generally you will get more responses if you start your own thread from the forums link. Generally it is good to post full size pictures of both front and back. With that being said, sounds like the die was filled up with some foreign matter like grease causing the missing characters. Interesting but not worth over face value

20. Patriot woman

Patriot woman New Member

21. Patriot woman

Patriot woman New Member

Thank you for responding.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted