Rare Coin Rankings: Any Good Sources Or Websites ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Mar 16, 2021.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I was re-reading my HANDBOOK OF 20th CENTURY GOLD COINS 1907-33 by Akers and it has a couple of Rarity Rankings in the appendix. One for total Mint State (MS60 and up) coins out there, the other for Mint State 65 and higher.

Does anybody know of a good source for up-to-date rarity indices for Saints and/or Morgans by year and/or mintmark? Maybe they exist, maybe they don't, I don't know. I figure that for coins that are popular with collectors where there are lots of coins to collect that a ranking of difficulty/rarity would be available, either by someone's estimate of difficulty or a hard formula.

Do the registry rankings kind of incorporate rarity in so far as you get more points for hard-to-get coins in high grade condition, right (I'm not a registry player so I'm guessing here) ?

capthank and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Population reports and then just guess at the number of cross overs and retries. When looked at against each other they're a pretty good indication of the harder to find ones and just assume any grade with a big jump in price for the next one up is artificially inflated

Both are much to common to do anything but guesstimate

GoldFinger1969 and Evan Saltis like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

That's fine for me, I liked the Indian Head and Saint-Gaudens rankings in Akers books, he pretty much based it on total number of coins for the grade(s).

I thought on the HA archives I came across some scale or ranking involving an R-something. Wish I had saved it, maybe I can find it again. :mad:

capthank likes this.
  5. baseball21

Yes there's plenty of ranking systems and they're all basically based on the population reports. The R is just telling you a range of what is there, for early copper sure that would hold more weight with a lot of raw ones out there, for Saints and Morgans just look at the pops

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

But with all the double-counting, can you really guestimate the range of the population size ?

7. baseball21

Yes. You look at it against the others. That's the point.

Then if you really want to dig in on one specially, you look at listings and sales history and see what comes up and deduct from there

8. GoldFinger1969

I found that R-thing:

1909 $20 MS65 PCGS. The 1909-P is a highly respected condition rarity in the Saint-Gaudens series, rated as an R.8 by Akers in MS65 (1990).

What is the commentary saying...."R.8" ? Is that R and 0.8 or R and 8 ?? Does anybody know what this numerical stuff means ?

capthank likes this.
  9. baseball21

You can throw that all out that window from 1990, it means nothing now

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you've got the Akers book then you should already know what the Akers rarity scale is, and what each number means. To quote David Hall - “David Akers is considered one of the top rare gold experts of all-time,” - and he's far from the only one who thought and still thinks that.

The caveat in your question is "up to date". To my knowledge there is nothing current. But we've talked about this several times, the answers haven't changed. Between the two books on gold that I've always recommended to you, the Akers book, and the files I think I've sent you or at least offered to send you - that's about as good as it gets. Between all of them they pretty much pin down what Saints are common, scarce, and rare.

Now some folks will say - but none of that's up to date. Well, OK - but so what ? I mean it's not like somebody made more of them, or found hoards of them hidden way since those books were published. In other words the census of how many coins of each date/mint exist is pretty accurate. Oh sure the grades have changed - dear god how they've changed ! But the numbers of coins - and therefore the rarity rating - that hasn't changed. It's as good now as it was then. And if ya go through all the various rarity scales you'll find they pretty much jive with each other. Sure each one will use a different number, but the degree of scarcity/rarity doesn't change.

It's pretty much the same thing with Morgans. There's lots of book on them complete with rarity scales. And sometimes you might find some stuff online for Saints and Morgans but not much because it's all protected by copyright. So if ya want the info ya gotta buy the books.

If all you really care about are the plastic numbers - today's TPG grades - use the pop numbers. But seeing as how much grading standards have changed over the last 16 years or so - that's pretty much worthless IMO. What used to be AU is MS today, what used to be 63s are 64s and 65s today. Same thing with all the other grades.

And with Saints, examples of true MS Saints do exist but not in large numbers - and they never have. Not since they quit making them.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Goldfinger - lemme give you a good suggestion. Buy the books I've recommended to you before. Then using them and the Akers book, and any other books you have, compare the scarcity/rarity ratings in the books to the pop numbers for coins that exist today. I'm betting that what you find will show you that the grades and numbers of coins in various grades have gone up significantly from what they used to be.

My point in this is to show you that what you need to pay attention to is absolute rarity, not condition rarity. Even in today's world, absolute rarity doesn't change - condition rarity changes all the time.

12. GoldFinger1969

They're on my TO BUY list. I'm working through inventory as I speak. :D

I guess what you and BB21 are saying is what I have deduced....it's pretty much an informal ranking system. I thought there might be something more hard and quantified, that why that "R" scale thing confused me.

Thanks again !

13. GoldFinger1969

Well, he doesn't explain it in the book's early sections so maybe it was talked about elsewhere. That was before my time.

I suspect based on the tables at the back (for overall MS and MS65 & Greater) he just segmented the coins. As I typed above, the "R" and "0.8" or "8" is what confused me. I thought it might be some scale known to hard-core collectors.

14. GoldFinger1969

If a hoard is found, and it's a decent % of the existing total, then absolute rarity can change, right ?

That's what happened with the SSCA and the 1857-S Liberty DE.

15. GoldFinger1969

FWIW....I ranked all of the Saints (all 54 non-proof types, including the UHR and 1933) by quintiles (10 or 11 coins in each quintile).

Looks like 31 of the 54 maintained the same quintile ranking. 23 of them changed; 12 decreased in difficulty, 11 more difficult in the MS65 or higher listing.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  16. baseball21

Yes and it has and does. More than one Morgan hoards have been found since 1990 and Saddle Ridge changed some gold numbers, as just one example. Things always change over time

17. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

On that note the 1990 stats may be more accurate than the latest data. Why? Think of the crack outs and regrading that has accrued since 1990. The 1990 population numbers should be a lower number.

18. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I think you will find rarity statistics on the PCGS web sites coin facts pages. How often are they updated? I couldn’t say, but it would be interesting to compare them to the information in Mr Akers book. If you do this would you kindly share your findings on this thread? I think it would be an interesting comparison.

19. GoldFinger1969

I'm not a registry guy, but don't the "points" for various coins take into account rarity and/or price ?

Dynoking likes this.
  20. GoldFinger1969

It's a project I am going to work on over time for some of my coins. But if you go too far back the presence of hoards HUGELY changes the game, as BB21 said above.

Dynoking likes this.
  21. GoldFinger1969

What numbers changed from Saddle Ridge ?

I'll scan for those Morgan hoards, the gold hoards seem to get more publicity with the exception of the Redfield Hoard.

Draft saved Draft deleted