Rare coin find worth it?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Exodus_gear, May 11, 2015.

1. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

Hello every one, I have been collecting on and off for the last 16 years. More recently I started roll hunting and I came across a (in my opinion)very interesting coin 2005 P Minnesota Quarter. I have compared it to various others but it appears to be made fully of one of these metals aluminum, silver, nickel. I compared it to one of the same date and art, different mint, D instead of P. I have uploaded pictures of comparisons, in case that helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Exodus_gear

Seems I missed a picture.

Attached Files:

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When the state quarters made their debut, companies like Coin Vault jumped on the bandwagon and submitted thousands upon thousands of each date/mintmark for grading. Those that didn't make the minimum grade were returned, and they used these "rejects" to put together complete sets of the P&D SQ's plated in gold, silver & platinum housed in a fancy wooden display case. The face value of the coin was still more than the precious metal used to plate them, but these sets were sold for 10x face value. When the suckers eventually learned that these sets were only worth face value, many of them were dumped on the market. I believe that is what you found.

Chris

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Plated... I have found a few (quarters, halves, and small dollars).

6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Do you have the equipment to weigh your coin (and 5 for comparison) to the nearest 0.01 gram?

7. Exodus_gear

Went out and got a digital scale. Set to gram, weighed out the coin and took a picture. Think I need to go back and get a different scale though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  8. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Calibrate that scale. Put a nickel on it

9. Exodus_gear

The 6 gram was the weight after I calibrated the scale. I had a friend bring over a hand scale or finger scale. Took pics of weight of bag before and after. Appears to be roughly same weight as on digital scale after removing .5 maybe 1 gram due to bag. I am going to try a few more scales.

Attached Files:

10. Exodus_gear

Okies here we go. Got a scale that weighs down to .01 grams. I re calibrated to proper stats with nickels. The first weight is of another quarter and the second is of the quarter I located, used for comparison. There appears to be a small difference in weight by .04 - .05

Attached Files:

11. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

As somebody noted---it is plated. Nothing rare.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The nominal weight is 5.67 grams, but the tolerance is +/- 0.227 grams, so neither quarter is out of specs. for weight.

13. Exodus_gear

Alrighty, thank you for the info guys :)

Draft saved Draft deleted